• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

Sid here . Topic . Clutch tips both the original and multiplate .

Big Sid

The Vincent lift mechanism suffers from short lifting travel and poor strength in the right side arm G91 . Too mush spring pressure and this bends , distorts reducing travel . Only redesign will correct this weakness , so one must work around it . And this affects outer plate lift off in any clutch used .
First one must increase travel of the pushrod focusing on the handlebar lever and the inner tip of G94 . The hb lever s abutting tips are ground back evenly nearing an eighth inch to increase its swing , and the sharp end of G 94 is likewise carefully ground back on its tip to provide greater travel of the lever G 91 . Be careful not to remove too much ruining it . Then the clutch cable is readjusted to take advantage Of the greater travel these two changes offer . And then you must readjust the cover adjustor to suit the cable travel and still allow a wee bit of inner arm slack before contact with the pushrod . Be sure to use plenty of HMP grease on the inner moving surfaces and that the bottom of the inner arm slides freely .
Now you have maximum rod travel possible . The Works method of checking for clean clutch release is to select fourth gear , lift the clutch and spin the rear wheel . If all is well it should spin very easily , almost as if in neutral .
With a multiplate all of that applies equally . We use Videans latest V 3 unit in our Vincati , a lovely piece of gear . However it suffers from too much spring pressure and needs only every other cup and spring , ie. three , not six . Iff this proves too soft then pop in a washer to increase those remaining applied pressure . Neal also offers slightly heavier springs if needed , still using only three .
This change gives a easy lift without stressing the inner arm G 91 , giving a sweet action and max liftoff .
We run it slightly wet to eliminate wear but reduce drag by going to synth . ATF IN THE PRIMARY , and admitting it to the clutch chamber with a single one quarter inch drilled hole sited behind the clutch exactly at the normal primary fluid level . Before assembly of the clutch soak its friction plates overnite in the same ATF , draining well before proceeding the following day .
Adjust the center throw off closely but careful to leave a quarter inch of lever travel at the bar before any lift is felt . There you are , go enjoy ! It will improve as the plate surfaces smooth off giving even cleaner release .
You should do what is possible to lessen transfer of motor oil into the primary case as this will dilute gradually the new fluid .
With the ORIGINAL Vincent clutch . A few reminders will give improved function and freeing off .
The centralizing plungers should compress nicely with a firm thumb squeeze , both of them , not come up solid before 3/4 s of their travel . They must extend out and firmly press on their pins when at rest , both of them . There must be about 25 thou clearance around the inner drum surface and the lining segments to allow for drum wobble , this always there at idle with clutch lifted .
The ends of all segments must be champhered back , no sharp leading edges , both ends to give smooth engagement . No oil in the assembly as it will be flung out into the drum spoiling grip .
All the earlier adjustment details still apply . These all seem simple but must be as described . Good luck . Sid .

D

Deleted member 1085

Yet to hear of a multi plate clutch which does not have to be adjusted whilst in use i.e. cold to hot. Running multi plate clutches with access only to limited oil in a "drilled" clutch housing, can result in contaminated oil which needs to be changed very frequently, say every 1000 miles. Yet to find a oil which works well and I have tried a few.
Keith

Big Sid

Vincent's have covered a zillion miles on the original primary drive. I drag raced for 3 years with a triplex chain , never had one break . Wear rates are really low , adjustment req . very rarely , the entire drive line is solid and trouble free , and very smooth running . it's silent and snatch free . Where am I wrong ?
I see no reason to make the change . Sid .

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
I belive the double sided belt is not only trouble free but sorts that abysmal dynamo drive speak to Bob Newby
We raced 3 seasons on the 1275 Egli with conventional one sided belt never looked worn but renewed it at £50 a shot just in case
and of course changing it is quick and clean and his clutch (I have 2 on the racing singles) is light and well engineered (use the Spares company multiplate clutch modification that fits the standard twin clutch operating arm)
Still got a chain on the Alphabet Road twin with a home built multiplate suzuki clutch but no dynamo connection as been using it on track days but a double sided belt is on my list in next re-build I could ballast a boat with the triplex chains in my scrap bin

Big Sid

Sid here again . Personally I love the look of the original primary cover and how it flows into the beauty of the motor . I look at it and once again hear PEI saying that the ESA bulge was a woman's breast in it's curve and form . How could one toss away such elemental beauty , so much a part of the motors " shaped from Natures own beauty " look . Nope , afraid not , not til they offer a belt cover as nicely shaped as to not spoil things .

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
Much clutch adjustment can be avoided by building the push rod from hardened tool steel.... two sections with polished ends with two well lubricated 1/4''x 3/8" roller-bearigs in the middle. Using a thick high pressure grease
just at the bearings does act as a seal ....... the rest of the rod assembly should be lubed with a light viscosity grease.

Warning! This thread is more than 10yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.