Should I restore my Comet?

Should I restore my Comet?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shadowman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've had the Comet for about 8 years and it was scruffy when I bought it which to be honest I quite liked as my other bikes are restored. www.petersmachines.com
The engine was not good so a few years ago I restored the internals and now it runs very well.
It is the only bike I use throughout the English winter and also the bike I use most. Lately I overheard someone say it's a disgrace to leave it that way.
It does not have matching numbers. In fact it is a Rapide with a Comet engine.
By the way, if you own English registration MVS 337 you have my twin engine or I have your rest of bike depending how you look at it.
Regards to all
Peter Sprot
IMG_20140420_131158.jpg

IMG_20140420_131135.jpg
IMG_20140420_131141.jpg
IMG_20140420_131153.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
Looks good! a cousin to Ms Bickerstaffs Rap PUB and what she doesnt know about Vincents is vanishingly small
Its no disgrace to leave it that way, its a disgrace to polish them and keep them in the living room unridden

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Personally speaking I do not like the bare metal fork blades, leaves them a bit vulnerable to salt corrosion in the winter, the rest of the bike looks fine to me.

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
If it runs and rides ok, leave it. Nice to see a scruffy Comet and much more unusual than all the rest.
Once it's restored you would probably use it less and have to find another 'disgrace' to use in the rain!

GarryMcI

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Peter, Nice machine, everyone gets carried away with 'patina' (still trying to find out who she is??) how far do you go with this ?? I was in the states last year and everyone gets carried away with 'Pebble Beach' style !!!!, in the end you own and ride it, you do the maintenance' only you can make the call, enjoy riding it!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Peter, You are a lucky lad !! Just remember to drain the sump on the Twin next time !!. You don't have to do a Brand New job on the Comet, But it would be nice to Tart it up a bit ! A good clean up and little paint would not take much, Good Luck, Bill.

b'knighted

VOC Member
It would be interesting to see, at the end of the survey, how the votes split between VOC members and non-members. I'd expect the non-owners to voice more disgust. Was the person who said it was a disgrace riding a Vincent?

Shadowman

VOC Member
It would be interesting to see, at the end of the survey, how the votes split between VOC members and non-members. I'd expect the non-owners to voice more disgust. Was the person who said it was a disgrace riding a Vincent?

No, I don't think he was riding a Vincent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I Know I am colour blind !!, But I can't understand Why anybody would put a bike together with red rear frame and the rest black ! A bit of black paint on the footrests, The kickstart and a few other bits, A nice Tank cover from MPH and "From a Distance" Sounds Like A Song !!, It wood look a Cracker, I was out on my Comet the other day and someone even thought it was a Twin !!. Good Luck, Bill.