Should I restore my Comet?

Should I restore my Comet?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Prince Duster

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've been doing a bit of research into unrestored bikes. There's no doubt it is the way some see things going, at least in terms of what is at a premium for sale. For me, this Comet is a great time-piece: how Comets looked before prices of them really took off, and from a time when Vincent owners might run one during the winter maybe, but leave a twin in the garage till spring had sprung. So, as such a time-piece, I voted to not restore. Clean it, ride it, leave outside the pub half an hour longer than you would a twin before checking it's still there. Such use is a part of this model's history. Nice to have a few around that reflect that.
David Lancaster

greg brillus

VOC Member
Geez John your eyes are keener than mine.......I was thinking of the highlighted RH fuel tap and the lockwire on the kickstart pedal........now your talk'in.

wmg73141

Non-VOC Member
One differences between a good woman and a good bike is that she can fix her own makeup.

However both will reward beyond all measure if given a little TLC now and then . . .

dommy2

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Nice bike Peter.
A minor tidy up could be worthwhile but if it rides OK just enjoy it like I do on our old Comet.

Shadowman

VOC Member
Nice bike Peter.
A minor tidy up could be worthwhile but if it rides OK just enjoy it like I do on our old Comet.

It starts easily and rides well, despite the appearance it doesn't leak oil. The lights could do with attention, they are still 6v and not very bright or reliable which is why I keep bicycle diode lights in the tool box and mounts for them on the handlebar and rear frame. The bicycle light is brighter than the headlight!
I'm surprised nobody has commented on the home made air filter which was put on a few years ago by a friend to stop it shooting flames before I 'did' the engine. One night at a pub meet it backfired through the carb which caught light. The person who had borrowed it for a year had to run into the pub and get a wet bar towel to put it out. Still rode it home and soon after had the carb refurbished. He said they still talk about the Vincent that caught fire in the car park.