Should I restore my Comet?

Should I restore my Comet?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I can't understand Why anybody would put a bike together with red rear frame and the rest black ! A bit of black paint on the footrests, The kickstart and a few other bits,
+1 on this. Unless, of course, the point of having the current paint scheme is to generate comments, in which case it would be even better with lime green fork blades.

b'knighted

VOC Member
While Peter is riding it the missing paint on the tops of the fork blades may be visible to him. Worrying about the appearance of any of the other parts does not affect the quality of the ride. Cosmetic improvements will be for the satisfaction/pleasure of other people. It may be worth painting some parts next time it is in bits, so long as that doesn't delay getting it back on the road - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Worrying about the appearance of any of the other parts does not affect the quality of the ride. Cosmetic improvements will be for the satisfaction/pleasure of other people.
That's not necessarily true. Appearance has a function beyond cosmetics. The bike looks like it might have passed the point where it would be easy to spot a new oil leak that could indicate the development of a problem before it caused serious damage, or battery acid leaking onto the frame due to a cracked case or a missing cap, or insulation being worn from a wire about to cause a short, etc.

Dean Grace

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I'm sitting on the fence with this one, on one side I can certainly see the point of cleaning it up and making it look all shiny and new; but on the other side as soon as you do clean it up it will lose all the character that it has right now, that bike looks like it has a lot of history hidden on/in it and as soon as it gets cleaned up and repainted all that history gets taken away from it too never to be seen again.

At the end of the day it is yours and yours alone too do with what you want, no one has the right to dictate to you what you should or shouldn't do.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Strangely a friend recently acquired a red painted rapide with roughly the same amount of wear/ageing and a black RFM and spring boxes, however they are not related as his missing RFM is the early type and the red spring boxes were still on the UFM, the proper RFM is hopely still to be discovered amongst the previous owners sheds.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It's strange what people like, I know a bloke who built a Blue Twin in 1970, Nobody liked it !! Some years later, After I painted it Black people would come up and say, " Where's the Blue one, I liked that " !! We are all different ! Cheers Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I like the carby stains on the primary cover.......you might want to replace that missing 2 BA screw and washer that holds the dynamo cover on though....!!! Look closely....lower link is red and so was the tank, maybe it was just left over paint from the roller door....;)

Howard

VOC Member
Peter,

Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm not a polish and hide it Vincent owner, but I think there's a line between looking original/well used, and looking neglected. The poor old Comet has served you/someone well for some time and deserves some TLC to restore it's pride, but at the end of the day, it's your bike and your decision.

H

nkt267

VOC Member
I thought you may have liked the racing mod to the right hand crossover brake arm Greg..John