Shop built roller starter

n650ss

Forum User
VOC Member
Following all this advice with interest. Have just built a comet with a Bob Dunn big bore engine (632cc). Have some health issues & have managed to start it twice when cold (much easier warm) & have given up numerous times. Bought one of the starters on ebay but was advised by an engineer to raise the rear roller as bikes tend to rise backwards on a starter. I drilled the top rail & repositioned the rear rollers there

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Can't remember if the Glenli is dual plug, but if not, wouldn't those harley-style decompressors help?

It is dual plug but then the Pazon Ignition Andy made up for it is also dual plug. Andy suggested using dual drivers to give a really hot ignition.
Both his regular dual plug and his racing dual plug setups use a single driver.
So I'm loathe to lose the second plug. I'm not sure it would be healthy for the ignition.
Also, with the two plug setups, timing is retarded about 5 degrees from the same engine on a single plug. This really helps to prevent detonation , and at 10.8 to one, this was a concern. My ignition map was custom made for this engine and takes all of those factors into account. So I'm probably stuck with the two plug setup, but it works very well, no preignition and easy starting. When I am successful at kicking it thru compression, it generally lights up first go.

Terry now drills a tiny third hole in between the plugs and fits a Harley type decompressor in there. That is a possibility for these heads.

Glen

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I know it's a lot of work for you, But early this year Kickstarting Brother Ron's Comet with a 14 mm decompressor from USA, Was like kicking over without a Piston, So easy.
And as soon as it fires the valve shuts automatic.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
It just might be the answer.
I would rather avoid the complication/expense/ and weight of an Estarter.
Not that much work to pop the heads off.
Glen

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I know it's a lot of work for you, But early this year Kickstarting Brother Ron's Comet with a 14 mm decompressor from USA, Was like kicking over without a Piston, So easy.
And as soon as it fires the valve shuts automatic.
Sounds like a good idea.
Do you know what make they are Bill ?
Would it mean having another plug hole in each head for the decompressor ?
Cheers
Dave

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The thing I am worried about Dave, Is with a Twin, Can you kick it over fast enough??.
Ron had trouble With his Comet,, But the mag' was playing up, When I went down there
and we fitted a "D" coil setup, It was fine, You should have seen his Face when it started !.
I wanted to see if it was OK Because I have one for my new Comet.
Yes you need another Plug Hole, Ron already had the second hole.
These are made for H.D.s, But WITH Electric Starters .
There are so many types, But I was talked out of the cheaper ones, Different lengths and 10mm etc,
We wanted the standard 14mm and the long thread , I think it's 3/4".
But ours were a lot of money, I think they were about £240, The price kept going up, And they had to come from USA.
I bet the Terry Prince ones are for use with E/start ?.
I got ours from a H.D. Shop.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Neil, Yes I know about those, But Ron already had the long 14mm hole,
So can you start yours on the Kickstart, Or have you got Electric ?.
Cheers Bill.

royrobertson

VOC Member
My starter has a 5hp Honda petrol engine to start my 1272cc race bike via a Briggs and Stratton centrifugal clutch. It cost me £120 to build including engine and travels on my trailer (many thanks to John Trewella). It even went to NZ with me and started quite a few bikes over there including the Dave Croxford Norton.
My Esso pumps have suddenly got E5 stickers here in Worthing. Any Comments?

vibrac

VOC Member
You cant beat a petrol engine to start a bike
As to the E5 stickers its just more static in the signal, more muddy water, put on by a jobsworth. When did and weights and Measures officer ever check the ethanol content? they would not know how, they can just about weigh cornflake packets. In anycase as I said previously the only effective point of control and the legislation is the overall output figures of the refinery and the total ethanol they purchase.