Shoddy parts and bad customer service

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Watching Venhills videos on making cables made me decide to invest in a solder pot and also their inner cable bird caging tool. I bought mine when they were a lot cheaper and it works a treat.

I just cut up some angle iron last night so I could make my own bird cage tool. I’m assuming the bevel in the end of the drift and the bevel in the bottom of the bore is just done with a drill bit? Any chance of a close up photo?

Cyborg

VOC Member
I like Venhills cables but when I had a problem with an order from them I found their customer service uncaring and dishonest which has put me off dealing with them again.

Seems to be a big difference between Venhill in the UK and Venhill USA. I’ve ordered hydraulic lines and cable parts from the US supplier and he even returns my emails on Sunday while he’s in the air travelling. I needed some cable ends that they didn’t carry and he brought some in for me. Actually one of the better businesses I’ve dealt with.

Trickymicky

VOC Member
I've used Venhill cables for many years and always found the control cables to be excellent, as is the website shop for bits to make your own cables

However, a couple of years ago for convenience, i sent them two cables as patterns, so they could make up replacements- a clutch cable for a Norton International, and a short throttle cable for a trials bike, which, admittedly consisted of two parts as it went through a reduction box, and then on to the carb.

Anyway, a few days later, a girl phoned up and wanted my card number for the payment of £116, which sounded a lot to me, eventually reducing it to £93 after i complained. I shall stick to making my own in future.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
They are a bit pricey on made to order cables. I feel it's worth it to get easy pull, no lube cables and, most importantly, to have a cable that won't let go by breaking or losing an end when most needed. The front brake cable on the Vincent might be the most important part on the bike. It definitely is when you are two up doing 70 mph on a two lane highway , come over a rise and see a pickup truck across your lane, oncoming vehicle in other lane. We did survive, the brake system was tested to the max. I ended up sitting on the gas tank from the -g force and bike stopped maybe ten feet from the stationary truck!
At a time like that a few extra GBP spent on a really skookum front brake cable set seems quite worthwhile.

Venhills off the shelf cables are very low cost. Sometimes an off the shelf item for a common bike will fit you requirements.
As an example of off the shelf cable cost, a 51"Norton Commando clutch cable in Featherlight is 12 GBP.
I imagine the bits and pieces are this much or more to make one up, and the made up cable won't be Featherlight spec.

Glen

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I just cut up some angle iron last night so I could make my own bird cage tool. I’m assuming the bevel in the end of the drift and the bevel in the bottom of the bore is just done with a drill bit? Any chance of a close up photo?
Yes I can do that for you, but maybe not for a couple of weeks. I think it should be quite simple to make your own bird caging tool, but think the parts probably need heat treatment for longevity.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
I found it helpful to drill a hole at the bottom of the recess in the drift which is the right size for the cable to slot into. This holds it together when being drifted and helps to make a good birdcage. It only need to be about 4mm deep.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Yes I can do that for you, but maybe not for a couple of weeks. I think it should be quite simple to make your own bird caging tool, but think the parts probably need heat treatment for longevity.

I took a stab at it. Only drilled the one for 2mm cable so far, but it will do.

Bird cage.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
I found it helpful to drill a hole at the bottom of the recess in the drift which is the right size for the cable to slot into. This holds it together when being drifted and helps to make a good birdcage. It only need to be about 4mm deep.

Thanks... I'll add that to the drift and give it a try.

highbury731

VOC Member
I like Venhills cables but when I had a problem with an order from them I found their customer service uncaring and dishonest which has put me off dealing with them again.
The promised speedo cable was finally posted on Thursday last week and arrived in Scotland on Saturday, so I am very glad I didn't wait for it. It seems that my request that it be expedited resulted in SLOWER delivery.
I already had spare brake and clutch cables for that bike, which turn out to be Venhill. They seem nicely made, tho' the brake was 1" too long, so had to be shortened. It works nicely and gives a much firmer brake lever. After this trip I will probably fit the new clutch cable as well
Paul

Normski

Non-VOC Member
The promised speedo cable was finally posted on Thursday last week and arrived in Scotland on Saturday, so I am very glad I didn't wait for it. It seems that my request that it be expedited resulted in SLOWER delivery.
I already had spare brake and clutch cables for that bike, which turn out to be Venhill. They seem nicely made, tho' the brake was 1" too long, so had to be shortened. It works nicely and gives a much firmer brake lever. After this trip I will probably fit the new clutch cable as well
Paul
For my Guzzi I've been buying throttle cables from WeMoto and what they have been supplying are Venhill cables (cheaper than dealing direct though) I ordered some more some weeks ago and WeMoto tell me they are on back order with 3 weeks delivery time, so Venhill might be having difficulty fulfilling their orders at the moment.