Shannonville

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Re no eye protection, I have another photo from earlier in the race where the rider has a full face shield. It must have blown off at some point.

highbury731

VOC Member
The forks look like Norton ones, with Commando style rubber seal covers. It's odd that there is so little guard-to-downtube clearance. It's hard to judge how that was accomplished, unless the fork stantions are late Manx (around an inch shorter than normal featherbed). The sidestand is hanging ominously low.

I note that the rider is wearing shoes (winklepickers!) and jeans. Hardly track racing garb. At least he has a leather jacket and gloves. In London, I regularly see despatch riders gloveless, and even see people wearing rubber flip-flops (also called jandals or thongs) quite frequently on bikes. Ok, the flip-flops and high healed shoes are usually scooter riders

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Can you Believe, After my road prang, For my first Race, I used an open helmet with a Peak !! It nearly pulled my head off down the back straight at Cadwell Park, I have always been Stupid ! There is No Hope !, Cheers Bill.

b'knighted

VOC Member
I bought one of those posh BMW golf ball helmets. The little dimples were supposed to add to stability. To reduce misting up I used to ride with the visor partially open until one day I did a rear observation at a fairly high road speed and the wind whipped the visor fully open until it “sealed” at the top of the helmet and, as my head was turned to the right, tried to twist my head off. This may have been caused by turning the visor into the slipstream of the Knight screen.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
My Dominator with worn out springs and 2ls brake used to lock the steering up braking downhill with a pillion as the front mudguard jammed between the front downtubes, soon fitted new springs and sorted out the damping!!
The very first Manx frames had vertical shocks on the back but this looks like a home mod.
Chris.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
I am moving this out of the technical forum, since I want to wander in history a bit. Here is the post in response to Len Matthew's memories of Shannonville I sent earlier:

Len:

"Talking of racing Richard, I still owe you for a Clutch Cable that you loaned me during the Shannonville road races in 1977. This event was part of the Shadow Lake Rally in that year and the only time I actually won a sidecar race (with certain Herr Schupp as ballast). To be fair, there were only two more outfits on the grid, one of which was a Kawasaki that had some form of pivoting sidecar mounted on the right side and carried no passenger. This meant, although the Kawasaki could outgun the Vincent it was severely handicapped on right turns so Schupp and me could easily sweep past. It was a fascinating day all round; after the event I had the privilege of transporting Paul Richardson back to Shadow Lake in my sidecar. He wrote of that experience in MPH and mentioned something about the piercing beam from my headlamp lighting up the road ahead. Little did he know that I was praying that my battery would hold out as the dynamo had expired some days before!"

I replied:

"Interesting what triggers old memories.
The Kawasaki belonged to my Navy friend David Coffield, who used to do Sunday rides with some of us from the Tidewater Virginia and DC area in the 70's. He had one of the first of the fast Z1 Kaw's and the interesting sidecar, and was always a bit miffed when the old relics got more attention than he did. We had several Vin's parked in my garage one day plus the Kawasaki, and my big bloodhound wandered in and raised his leg on the Japanese motorcycle's tire. I made sure he did not forget that for a while. He and his wife Marty accompanied us to the '77 rally. I remember meeting a fellow there on a white tanked Norvin that crashed rather badly during the race. We ended up going to the hospital with him. He had borrowed my wife's leather jacket for the race, and it ended up the worse for wear, but we were glad it helped him a bit anyway. I can't remember his name or if he is still riding Vincents."

I knew I had some pictures from back then, and found one of the sidecar race with the Kaw leaner trailing a Vin outfit, and another of (I think) Len's outfit and Herr Schupp. Also one of the Norvin I mentioned, just before his disaster, and another of a mid 70's Sunday ride from Virginia to the Outer Banks for lunch with my wife Barbara and our C Rapide, David and his wife Marty with Kawasaki less sidecar, Pat and Carol manning with their enclosed D, and Max Ruggiero and his wife with a B Rapide. Sorry for the poor quality of the shots, but they should blow up enough to see the outfits. Has anyone seen Max Ruggiero lately or know of what happened to the Norvin and rider?

Ron Franklin
Thanks for the photo Ron, brought back memories!

Ken

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I remember that Kawasaki sidecar. You might also remember my white Norvin that put me in the hospital in Bellville for a week.
Over the high side.

Ken

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am moving this out of the technical forum, since I want to wander in history a bit. Here is the post in response to Len Matthew's memories of Shannonville I sent earlier:

Len:

"Talking of racing Richard, I still owe you for a Clutch Cable that you loaned me during the Shannonville road races in 1977. This event was part of the Shadow Lake Rally in that year and the only time I actually won a sidecar race (with certain Herr Schupp as ballast). To be fair, there were only two more outfits on the grid, one of which was a Kawasaki that had some form of pivoting sidecar mounted on the right side and carried no passenger. This meant, although the Kawasaki could outgun the Vincent it was severely handicapped on right turns so Schupp and me could easily sweep past. It was a fascinating day all round; after the event I had the privilege of transporting Paul Richardson back to Shadow Lake in my sidecar. He wrote of that experience in MPH and mentioned something about the piercing beam from my headlamp lighting up the road ahead. Little did he know that I was praying that my battery would hold out as the dynamo had expired some days before!"

I replied:

The Kawasaki belonged to my Navy friend David Coffield, who used to do Sunday rides with some of us from the Tidewater Virginia and DC area in the 70's. He had one of the first of the fast Z1 Kaw's and the interesting sidecar, and was always a bit miffed when the old relics got more attention than he did. We had several Vin's parked in my garage one day plus the Kawasaki, and my big bloodhound wandered in and raised his leg on the Japanese motorcycle's tire. I made sure he did not forget that for a while. He and his wife Marty accompanied us to the '77 rally. I remember meeting a fellow there on a white tanked Norvin that crashed rather badly during the race. We ended up going to the hospital with him. He had borrowed my wife's leather jacket for the race, and it ended up the worse for wear, but we were glad it helped him a bit anyway. I can't remember his name or if he is still riding Vincents."

I knew I had some pictures from back then, and found one of the sidecar race with the Kaw leaner trailing a Vin outfit, and another of (I think) Len's outfit and Herr Schupp. Also one of the Norvin I mentioned, just before his disaster, and another of a mid 70's Sunday ride from Virginia to the Outer Banks for lunch with my wife Barbara and our C Rapide, David and his wife Marty with Kawasaki less sidecar, Pat and Carol manning with their enclosed D, and Max Ruggiero and his wife with a B Rapide. Sorry for the poor quality of the shots, but they should blow up enough to see the outfits. Has anyone seen Max Ruggiero lately or know of what happened to the Norvin and rider?

Ron Franklin
I have a movie of that rally. There is a bit of footage of the races, including an ambulance on the race track. Because it is a silent movie I have never known what the incident was and if the rider was badly hurt. It is an interesting historical piece not only because of the bikes and people but also the clothing and hair styles :)

Len:

I replied:

Ron Franklin

Ken

Forum User
Non-VOC Member

Len:

I replied:

Ron Franklin
virginia and rally004.jpg
I remember meeting a fellow there on a white tanked Norvin that crashed rather badly during the race. We ended up going to the hospital with him. He had borrowed my wife's leather jacket for the race, and it ended up the worse for wear, but we were glad it helped him a bit anyway. I can't remember his name or if he is still riding Vincents."virginia and rally004.jpg virginia and rally004.jpg