G: Gearbox (Twin) Shadow trans will not shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denny653

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
First, thank you to everyone who has replied to my previous posts. After thinking that my clutch was the problem, I
adjusted it by the book and took it for a ride down the street. It would not shift out of first gear. I took the kicker cover back off, and the shifting mechanism will not move in either direction. I have most of the books now and I find drawings
of the shifter mechanism as pertaining to adjusting the gap. When I look at mine though, I am not convinced that the ratchet shaft is in time.

Does anyone have a photo of what it should look like or can comment on my pics. The trans is in second gear in these pics. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas

Attachments

• Vincent shifter 1.jpg
    Vincent shifter 1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Vincent shifter 2.jpg
    Vincent shifter 2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 48

Cyborg

VOC Member
Can you rotate the G40 shaft and find all the gears?

I think you meant the G64 spring is missing? Edit.... spring wouldn’t be visible in the photo, but don’t think the G59AS can get into that position if the G64 is properly located.

Last edited:

greg brillus

VOC Member
The locator on the G 59 AS is not in the correct position........You need to pull the G 66 lever out of the way, then pull the G 44 shaft out a little way and relocate the spring and tangs on the G 59 AS over the small lug on the G 61 plate........how yours is the G 59 AS is rotated around clockwise too much. This will allow the mechanism to centralize and allow correct shifting.......the G 66 lever can then be reinstalled with the upper roller in the correct position..........easy fix.......Good luck.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Think you meant G40 shaft Greg? I’m guessing that if the G44 nut on the G40 shaft is removed, then the G43 and G59AS can be removed and the G64 spring replaced? Or.... do you just pull the assembly out along with the G40 and slip a new spring over the narrower part of the shaft?

Last edited:

Denny653

VOC Member
You guys are the greatest. I have my son and daughter-in-law coming in tomorrow for Christmas. I will be back on the bike next Monday. I shall report back!

greg brillus

VOC Member
Basically when the cover was removed to repair the lower corner, the G 40 shaft has come out a little bringing the G 59 AS assembly with it, the pawl has then dropped out of alignment with the tang on the G 61 plate........It would take only a few seconds to rectify it and put the cover back on, then try the gearshift just to be sure before reinstalling the exhaust.........Cheers.

Denny653

VOC Member
Basically when the cover was removed to repair the lower corner, the G 40 shaft has come out a little bringing the G 59 AS assembly with it, the pawl has then dropped out of alignment with the tang on the G 61 plate........It would take only a few seconds to rectify it and put the cover back on, then try the gearshift just to be sure before reinstalling the exhaust.........Cheers.
That is what I thought might have happened. I didn't know the details, but I thought it had to do with the cover removal. Thank you very much. I will be back on it Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.