Shadow clock dismantling

Black Flash

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
hello there,
I want to dismantle my shadow speedo in order to properly repaint the casting. My problem is that I do not know how to take off the extension for the tripcounter. when pulling this parts it seems there is some kind of pin in there very close to the casting, but I prefer asking before ruining that precious part.

Bernd

Black Flash

VOC Member
Thank you very much ossy, now that I turned it round, I can see the slot for the screwdriver.
I will first have to go out now and try to get this watchmakers screwdrivers, never seen such a small slot.

Well for me it is small, for Paul Ennis it is probably very big

Bernd

Albervin

VOC Member
Thank you very much ossy, now that I turned it round, I can see the slot for the screwdriver.
I will first have to go out now and try to get this watchmakers screwdrivers, never seen such a small slot.

Well for me it is small, for Paul Ennis it is probably very big

Bernd
I actually took mine to a watchmaker and he told be to go away. Not those words you understand but the meaning was clear.

Black Flash

VOC Member
I have a screwdriver of suitable size now, but I am still hesitating. I have to pull the toggle to get to the screw, so far so good.
But when I want to reassemble it, there is nothing to pull on that I could hold to put the screw back in?! I thought about wedging the extension slightly to put the toggle on again, but how do I remove the wedge afterwards?
I love taking things to pieces but only if I can see a way to reassemble it again.
Any hints

Bernd

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Phil Eacott wrote an article in MPH no. 338 on how to strip and rebuild a Shadow speedo. This article is also in 40 Years On and I presume, in Whitakerpedia on the club site. Cheers, ET43

Black Flash

VOC Member
thanks ET43,
finished the painting and reassembly. I am quite happy with the result.
I definately need new glasses, biggest problem was to find the slot in the micro screw of the daytrip extension.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
I've been reading "Some Obscure Components" by Eddie Stevens and Frank Griffiths, a series of articles in MPH around the time I joined, 1993. I think the locking screw is 10 BA.

I have a screwdriver of suitable size now, but I am still hesitating. I have to pull the toggle to get to the screw, so far so good.
But when I want to reassemble it, there is nothing to pull on that I could hold to put the screw back in?! I thought about wedging the extension slightly to put the toggle on again, but how do I remove the wedge afterwards?
I love taking things to pieces but only if I can see a way to reassemble it again.
Any hints

Bernd

Albervin

VOC Member
The metal Vincent model kit I have in my cupboard has fasteners of 12 and 14BA size. I may have left it too late to assemble....