Severn Rally Attendance

Why did you not attend the Severn Rally?( Anonymous)

• I don't like the site.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • The weather forecast was bad.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I am doing less Rallies as petrol is expensive.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I had personal/ other Motorcycle Club commitments.

Votes: 19 65.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Tracey,

I'm not sure you'll see my answer as relevant at first. I didn't go because I never go to Camping Rallies.

When I was young(ish) and most active in Vincent things, I raced, so that conflicted with Rallies. Then children came along - the ideal time for camping - but try as I might I hated three wheels as much as they did me. Children have now left home, but I have elderly parent and grandchild to babysit, and .............. my body likes it's creature comforts that I can't take on a solo.

I'm hoping to do the Rider's rally next weekend, and I'd have liked to call at the White Horse for a day but that's the following weekend, and there's only so much fun you can have on the M6 and M5 (I know there are A roads, but it's a long detour round Brum for a daytrip).

I think what I'm trying to say is, it's not the people that stop going you need to worry about, that's going to happen by natural wastage ie age, ill-health, expense, family commitments etc. It's the ones that aren't replacing them that's the problem. Camping itself may be the problem, it isn't everyone's cup of tea - specially long walks to the loo in the night (That's not necessarily my problem, you realise, just because I thought of it first :)). Maybe it's the changing reasons for owning a Vin, investors and concours people may not want to saddle their bikes with luggage carriers that detract from the looks and scratch the paint.

I think that's enough before I get into full swing and I need to do a bit of maintenance before next weekend!

So why not tailor a rally to suit the potential customers, don't ask why didn't you come, ask what would encourage you to come to the next rally?

H

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Hi Tracey,

I'm not sure you'll see my answer as relevant at first. I didn't go because I never go to Camping Rallies.

When I was young(ish) and most active in Vincent things, I raced, so that conflicted with Rallies. Then children came along - the ideal time for camping - but try as I might I hated three wheels as much as they did me. Children have now left home, but I have elderly parent and grandchild to babysit, and .............. my body likes it's creature comforts that I can't take on a solo.

I'm hoping to do the Rider's rally next weekend, and I'd have liked to call at the White Horse for a day but that's the following weekend, and there's only so much fun you can have on the M6 and M5 (I know there are A roads, but it's a long detour round Brum for a daytrip).

I think what I'm trying to say is, it's not the people that stop going you need to worry about, that's going to happen by natural wastage ie age, ill-health, expense, family commitments etc. It's the ones that aren't replacing them that's the problem. Camping itself may be the problem, it isn't everyone's cup of tea - specially long walks to the loo in the night (That's not necessarily my problem, you realise, just because I thought of it first :)). Maybe it's the changing reasons for owning a Vin, investors and concours people may not want to saddle their bikes with luggage carriers that detract from the looks and scratch the paint.

I think that's enough before I get into full swing and I need to do a bit of maintenance before next weekend!

So why not tailor a rally to suit the potential customers, don't ask why didn't you come, ask what would encourage you to come to the next rally?

H

A long long time ago your Politicians sent our forefathers to the "Great Southern Land" for their benefit (just for stealing a loaf of milk or some such trivial thing), we sent OUR Phil over to redesign the HRD into a Vincent, we taught your sporting heroes how to play Cricket and Rugby properly, we helped you out in a few skirmishes (1 and 2), you showed us Beer....we improved it for you and made it drinkable, you gave us Coronation Street....we fixed it called it Neighbours and sent it back, you gave us the Bee Gees...we taught them how to sing and sent them back.
So, as a country to whom you are obviously much indebted, we have come up with a solution to a problem you have all been worrying about for many generations, how to recompense those stalwart, stoic, heroic pioneers Down Under.....it is so simple that I am amazed it wasn't thought of years earlier.....if you were ALL to chip in a few pennies each and purchase First Class return airfares for ALL Australian members of the VOC to the UK with 5 star accommodation and free beer, each year so that we might brighten up your otherwise lacklustre rallies then I am sure that, in a few years you might start to feel like you had at least partly redeemed yourselves.
I sent a copy of this to your Prime Minister and have received the strangest of replies...."Bollocks ya big Nancy" can anyone interpret this for me??
;-) Kev

ossie

VOC Member
at least he replied?? or did he
not so shiney shadow.////
1998 yamaha 900 diversion
2003 ford focus
1973 vw beetle
2006 smart car
pet rabbit ?
budgie?
and some fish in the garden pond.?
oh/ and the wife 1955

Alan J

VOC Member
My excuse is. I was in Greece!! see you all at Slimbridge- though the weather forecast for Sunday is dire!!

Alan J

VOC Member
And the weather was dire!! but not actually at Slimbridge! 25 Vincents seems pare for the course, these days. {I must admit I was riding another make-old and black but not my "outfit]