Servo clutch

John Cone

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi guys, i recently stripped my clutch down to replace the gearbox indent spring and plunger. Up to that point i have had no issues with either of the clutches but after re-assembly and a road test i have found that the servo clutch is slipping. Before i go pulling it apart again am i looking to far into it and will it settle down after being disturbed? I'm looking forward to some re-assuring comments please.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The stock clutch can be quite sensitive in few areas.......they generally need lots of free play at the lever on account of it only lifting one plate. Even excess drag within the cable can cause them to slip........a slight amount of oil or grease that has flung outward into the drum, and also if the plunger springs/plungers have been set up with too much tension can cause them to slip. Another issue can be if some of the running clearances are too tight.......it takes little drag to hamper the action of the shoes. Good luck with it.......... Greg.

John Cone

VOC Member
The whole clutch was replaced a couple of years back and until i took it apart was working fine. I'll have to pull it apart again and perhaps just clean the drum and rough the shoes up.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Look on the back to see if the top of the shoe carrier pins are contacting the back of the inner servo plate. The plate can go on in 3 positions and if it has worn grooves in one position only it needs to go back in the same place. Also you can space that whole plot out a bit by fitting small washers on the driving pins.

One day (many tears ago now) my clutch came a part 13 times before I could get it to work properly!

timetraveller

VOC Member
Have you checked that there is slack in the lift mechanism, e.g. the small adjusting screw in the middle of the primary clutch?

John Cone

VOC Member
All sorted now thanks, now that i have been furloughed for the next 3 weeks i can spend some time chasing oil leaks. had an irritating drip from the back of the rear head, pulled the heads down for the first time in 20 odd years, changed a lot of gaskets and oil seals. Only a good run will prove if I have done any good.

Last edited: