Series E

Little Honda

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Does anybody out there know, to which amount series E tests were carried out? Are there still notes, pictures, data being kept somewhere? Would love to hear about. tal

Len Matthews

VOC Member
As is well known, Cope Allman (the successors to Harper Engines) put a questionaire in "Motorcycle Sport" inviting readers to suggest what changes/improvements they would like to see should the Vincent be put back on the market.
There was a rumour that two complete Series D engines were taken to a frame builder named Jim Lee who was commissioned to construct a rolling chassis. The story goes that one complete machine was built and shipped to the US. The existance of the remaining engine became known to local Vincent owners who persuaded Jim Lee to sell bits of it until nothing was left. Fact or fantasy? :confused:

G

Graham Smith

When you receive MPH709 on Friday, there's an article in there about the Vincent Series 'J'.

Who has ever heard of a Vincent Series 'J' before?!

F

Flatout

500cc 'V'Jap engine

Is this the 500cc Jap engine V twin in a tubular frame?

If so I've seen one. This thing does look like a Vincent but it's only when you look twice you notice the differences.

When you receive MPH709 on Friday, there's an article in there about the Vincent Series 'J'.

Who has ever heard of a Vincent Series 'J' before?!

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
As is well known, Cope Allman (the successors to Harper Engines) put a questionaire in "Motorcycle Sport" inviting readers to suggest what changes/improvements they would like to see should the Vincent be put back on the market.
There was a rumour that two complete Series D engines were taken to a frame builder named Jim Lee who was commissioned to construct a rolling chassis. The story goes that one complete machine was built and shipped to the US. The existance of the remaining engine became known to local Vincent owners who persuaded Jim Lee to sell bits of it until nothing was left. Fact or fantasy? :confused:
Mornin, Len,
what I meant, was the project of PCV´s idea of a rotary piston engine, consisting of sort of double-acting std piston, operating in a reciprocating movement in a rotating cylinder, which turned a crank around its big-end.
I lost the little pencil drawing print, being shown in one of Roy Harper´s books of the seventies, be it the Story or the Autobiography, I don´t remember... What I remember, is, that there must have been an engine been made but not working at all, as it developed no power. On the other hand, it is remembered, that PCV intended to use ceramics inside to overcome lubrication and thermal problems....
Some months ago, I came to the web adress of the company, who carried out the tests, but no reply to my email...
What is known abt it?
rgds to Angie...
Little Honda

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Takes you back, eh, Len. Think of all the various attempts and pipe dreams of a Series E. The Tom Somerton Viscount, featherbed framed Vincent. The Harper rebuilds. I met a guy who bought one. He said it didn't handle. I pointed out that they had forgotten to fit a rear damper. Hilgate Motors Phoenix, a Comet engine in conventional cycle parts. Fritz Egli's Egli. Roger Slater's Egli with a proposed 2 litre Vin engine with an explosive cartridge starter a la aircraft practice. That would have been fun. Tony Maughan was going to do one, but didn't. Then today. Francois' beauties. JMR. The Irving Vincent. That nasty American concoction with a Honda engine. Didn't Mr Honda build a prototype based on the Vin engine? Any more anyone remember? Oh yes, the 2007 VOCSC Black Shadow.

F

Flatout

The Honda one! That will be the one I saw when I was over there. Looked o.k to me. I'm sure someone told me that Phil Irving's son had something to do with it but that could just be a load of sh*te.

Takes you back, eh, Len. Think of all the various attempts and pipe dreams of a Series E. The Tom Somerton Viscount, featherbed framed Vincent. The Harper rebuilds. I met a guy who bought one. He said it didn't handle. I pointed out that they had forgotten to fit a rear damper. Hilgate Motors Phoenix, a Comet engine in conventional cycle parts. Fritz Egli's Egli. Roger Slater's Egli with a proposed 2 litre Vin engine with an explosive cartridge starter a la aircraft practice. That would have been fun. Tony Maughan was going to do one, but didn't. Then today. Francois' beauties. JMR. The Irving Vincent. That nasty American concoction with a Honda engine. Didn't Mr Honda build a prototype based on the Vin engine? Any more anyone remember? Oh yes, the 2007 VOCSC Black Shadow.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
The 2007 VOCSC Shadow, now whatever happened to that one then......

Ahh, what happened to it then, did our Canadian member manage to get the necessary funding?

All quiet on the subject.

S

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Dear Flatout
In the cold light of day my last comment looks rather rude. I apologise. It was not meant to be. Write in haste, regret at leisure.
Hugo