Series D wiring harness

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi John
Please don't dismantle anything on my behalf. If you could just look at how it is set up wrt the questions I'm asking, that will be good enough.
Regards Mac

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Hi John,
Sorry didn't realise you had made two posts. I have the spares list and it has a drawing but doesn't show the horn in situ, however, my headstock has two tapped holes which I think must be for the horn. My headlight has two grommet holes in addition to the speedo trip reset, the main one and one below that. I checked my photos that I took before stripping the bike and although the harness was not original, the brake light wires exit the headlight shell through the second smaller grommet and done properly it will look very neat. Once again, thanks for the replies but please, don't disturb anything on you bike if you can't anwer by just looking
Regards Mac

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Hi Mac;
I just realized the first Illustration in KTB is of the D UFM. It shows the horn and how it's mounted. On my bike the cloth sheathing is only on the area covered by the tank and seat. The wires to the tail light died in the mid Seventies and I replaced them with a more modern automotive wire. My original Red Dot Ammeter melted about that time too, so I highly recomend a fuse in the Battery to Ground wire. Dave Hills had some new faces made up and I discovered that the ammeter on an (at least my 1987 one) Indian Enfield has a proper size ammeter with a window for the lamp to shine through and the needle in the proper location. They're inexpensive too. Nice looking Sting Ray in your picture. Is it a 63 or 64. & which engine? They're even fairly rare in the States.
Cheers, John

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Hi John,
Just looked in KTB and found the illustration although I didn't find a wiring diagram. There is a wiring diag. in the spares list (mo 108) and this shows the horn and stoplight wired as I described before. I'll take you advice on fusing. When you say that the sheathing is only under the tank and seat, does this mean that you have a bunch of wires going through the main grommet rather than a single sheated bunch?
The corvette is a 63 Split window which I've had for 20 years. I got it when I was working in Canada and I'm the 3rd owner. I shipped it to Belgium when I went there after Canada and drove it home when I left Belgium for Thailand. It's the 340 hp version, engine balanced and blueprinted in the factory, 4 speed close ratio box with a Positraction 3.70 rear end. The engine is the same as the fuel injected cars but has a Carter ABF instead of fuel injection. 1500 were made like this. It's nos matching and has 70,000 miles. If I knew how to put an image in this message for you, I would.
Regards Mac

mercurycrest

VOC Member
When you say that the sheathing is only under the tank and seat, does this mean that you have a bunch of wires going through the main grommet rather than a single sheated bunch?

Hi Mac,
No, The Cloth is only under the tank and seat.Where the wires go to anything exposed they have black plastic sheathing. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around blasting at speed down one of those narrow Brit. pathways they call roads at speed in a car that steers on the left and is nearly irreplaceable. Sounds like great fun!
Cheers, John

macvette

Non-VOC Member
I wish I was doing it on my Vincent but the engine has been away now three years. Maybe this year!
I know it's not a Vincent topic but I'll post a couple of photos in the gallery. I'm a member of the Teesside Yesteryear Motor Club www.tymc.org.uk . It's a very active club with about 300 members evenly split between bikes and cars with quite a few members in both camps. There are least 6 Vincent twins in there. During the summer there are runs every Monday evening again a mixture of bikes and cars and the club organises some of the best know gatherings in the Northeast in support of the great North air ambulance. I live in N.Yorks which has some of the best biking roads in the uk and although some aren't suitable for the Corvette, there is a good selection that is although you can't beat riding them on a bike. Any hoo the Vette gets it's legs stretched on a regular basis and whilst keeping up with moden traffic isn't a problem, with drum brakes stopping is. I get quite a kick out of baiting modern sports cars with the straight line acceleration. Regards Mac

piggywig

Non-VOC Member
Mac,
I have a D spares catalogue of 50's vintage that depicts wiring diagram for open & closed models, also a detail of wiring harness make-up showing where various wires leave the main harness, all complete with fixed price list (obviously before inflation was invented)! If of any help it can be scanned and emailed or alternatively the relevant pages can be unclipped and mailed for you to copy.
Col.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Hi Col,
That would be tremendous. If you can scan and email I can deal with that, wouldn't like to see the pages lost in the post.
Regards Mac