Series D wiring harness

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I need a harness for my open series D, not sure if the ones on the VOC spares co are for the open model. Anyone got any suggestions?

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Maybe I should have explained that I bought one a couple of years ago and tried to fit it today. It doesn't fit but I can't remember where I got it VOC or VinParts. It looks to me it's for an enclosed D.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Is there anyone on the forum who owns an open series D and who would be willing to answer some detailed questions on the wiring such as routing etc.

Regards Mac

vince998

VOC Member
Hi Macvette,
I could tell you how i´ve done mine, but don´t ask me if its original or not.
The harness i made up years ago but since then there have been a few mods (electronic ignition, relocation of horn, twin fire dynas etc), and hence a relocation of a few wires.

Deroberson

Active Forum User
VOC Member
http://www.riwire.com/

Hi Mac

This is the only soruce I could find, I bought my harness a little over a year ago, seem to remeber it being a little spendy but what isn't for these machines. I would be glad to send pics as well, as a matter of fact I remember that they send a wiring schematic to reference what they used for the build. All braidind and conections look to be correct for the period as well as wire colors for the schematic.

I will dig it out and see if I can recall any notables, specifically, we D people have a couple of references that refer to postive or negative earth systems. I recall that KTB states that the D wiring diagram specifying a positive earth system was an error.

Any confirmation on this?

Dave

Deroberson

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Mac

Glad this came up, hopefully I will be at this stage soon.

KTB page 164 refers to the error in the schematic of the horns power supply being interupted by the brake light switch, and that the diagram shows a positive eartch, most Series D had a negative earth (mine upon disasembly was a positive earth, but I do not know if the wiring was original)

Vincent by Richardson, page 183 says the positive terminal is earthed after Frame No. RD12870 (mine is RD12776B)

JP Bickerstaff's, The Original Vincent page 118 refers to the same wiring diagram error as stated in KTB

My harness schematic from Rhode Island Wiring indicates a positve earth, with two seperate leads for the horn and two seprerate leads for stoplight switch, independent of each other, which on paper and in thoery seem correct. My reality maybe very different.

Dave

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Hi Mac;
My open D has the original wiring harness. Short of disassembling the bike, maybe I can help you. It's pretty brittle, so I don't want to disturb it more than needed.
Cheers, John

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Hi
Thank you all for the replies. My bike came with a really horrble harness but it worked properly. The bike was negative earth and the dip switch was wired through a changeover relay to avoid having the main headlight supply through the dip switch and I'm going to repeat this. I'm wiring up 6V negative earth and using a solid state regulator housed in the original (brass ) regulator housing. The wiring diagram in Vincent motorcycles shows the brake light switch being supplied from the -ve side of the horn whilst the horn is supplied from from the -ve side of the ammeter. This looks ok to me and the new( useless) harness is made up that way. I've more or less made up my mind to make up my own harness . The questions I have are:- Having routed the rear light wiring through the rear mud guard stay, the connectors are just to the rear of the rfm pivot. Is this where they should be or should they be further foward? Where precisely did the original horn go and do you know if anyone supplies them? Approx how long is the braiding at the front of the loom and does it go through the grommet into the headlight? Is it correct to assume that the brake light wires are carried inside the headlight in the main loom and exit through the smaller hole in the headlight shell (the one on the right of the shell looking forward from the seat). Which hole does the dip/horn lead go through in the headlight shell , large or small? Was the original loom cloth braided at the front? Hope someone can help I'm very disappointed with the new loom I bought, the binding tape is coming off and its about six inches too short .
Regards Mac

Last edited:

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Hi Mac.
On my bike the big hole is the only one with wires entering. The hole on the upper right is for the speedo trip reset. The loom has a plastic sheath/jacket starting under the tank. the wires to the brake switch come from under the tank inside a small plastic sheath/jacket. The dip switch wiring is in it's own plastic sheath/jacket and goes into the big hole too. The horn is mounted on the headstock under the tank. You should obtain a D Spares List Book. If I remember, it shows horn location, etc.
Hope this helps, John