Misc: Stands Series 'D' Stand Catching

Ostendorf

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a C with a D center stand. The kit came with a bracket that is mounted behind FT106. It carries the holding springs and the stand itself. I just had to drill two holes for the fixing screws of the springs into FT106. I added some spacers between the brackets so the springs could work freely. I'm still using the standard C brake cable. I bought the stand in the 90ies from a guy who advertised it as a complete kit in mph.

Attachments

• 20200802_141102.jpg
    20200802_141102.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200802_121250.jpg
    20200802_121250.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 30

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member

Thanks, that’s useful.
I only use the stand for tyre change, brakes, chain etc. so I should really
take it off and start again. Not sure how many different types of D stand there are about. If it’s not from a D as macvette says then maybe it’s a new pattern D stand
made for a C.
I would then need the fitting instructions for that.

I have the bracket that fits behind FT106 and the horn doesn’t get in the way of anything.
A spacer is fitted between the stand’s bracket and FT106 as mentioned in the previous post.

Ostendorf

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I found the instructions. I didn't remember that I bought it from Ron Kemp. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• 20200803_182750.jpg
    20200803_182750.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200803_182817.jpg
    20200803_182817.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 17

A_HRD

VOC Member
I bought mine, for my C, late 70s/early 80s from Trevor Southwell. All I have ever done to it is lengthen the handle for more leverage. It's still in regular use to this day, 40+ years later, and nothing rubs and the horn is also on the correct side...
Peter B

A_HRD

VOC Member
OK, just to keep you happy Bill....

Note that the horn is mounted to a suitably threaded steel tube welded to the footrest plate. That stops a std through-bolt getting in the way of things. Also, it's a std C Brake Cable. Note also the essential thin nut to prevent rubbing on the brake lever.

Peter B
Rapide MOC145 Aug 07.jpg

P1090215.jpg

danno

Non-VOC Member
Well, not really. At least not on my D. There are no springs, unless you would call the two halves of the clip "springs". The stand is held up by the clips which grab each side of the connecting link between the lift handle and the stand. These parts are illustrated on page MO 90 of the D spares list. The clip halves are FT290 and the link is FT295.

Gary
Haven’t sorted this yet as it doesn’t really affect using the bike.
What’s scraping is the linkage bolt as it stands 1/16th of an inch out from the nut.
There is a retaining spring clip on the inside of the brake pedal bracket to hold the stand up. The bracket flexes out a little when the stand is deployed.
I’ll remove the stand and then take a bit off/fit a thinner nut so it misses the lever. Plus repaint it.

EC1C1920-EC91-49D6-BD1E-ADC390FCDBCC.jpeg

Last edited:

delboy

VOC Member
The "D" spares list shows nut 558 ; 3/8" BSF Thin nut. Perhaps the works had the same problem?
Come to think of it, I think I found the same problem too, many years ago BDHS. [Before Dave Hills stand]

delboy

VOC Member
Okay, the penny just dropped.
Duh. The works couldn't have had this problem, as D's don't have a cross shaft and arm to catch!
Settle for a possible problem fitting a "D stand to a B/C.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Ok thanks.
Not easy at all taking the stand off and it’s difficult to see what it’s attached to.
Easier to remove the horn and footrest plate.
These large pivot nuts must have a spring coil as they’re not budging with the toolkit spanner.
Also very little room to get a spanner on the inside one as it’s on the side stand. Silencer/pipe will need to come off
for the other pivot nut.
A 1 1/8th socket seems to fit so will try that.

Attachments

• A551146E-1C59-4AE3-BA84-5DB84F6A0A8B.jpeg
    A551146E-1C59-4AE3-BA84-5DB84F6A0A8B.jpeg
    399 KB · Views: 16