Misc: Stands Series 'D' Stand Catching

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am not really a "D" man, But I thought they didn't have a spring, What they had was as Gary said,
spring clip, Ft290
IMG_20200728_204724 (2).jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I am sure you could make one of the pivots "tighter", With a washer or something to help keep the stand up ?.

danno

Non-VOC Member
As far as the brake arm touching the cable stop, just a slight bend in the brake arm would sort it and not be noticeable.

Yes, that would do it. I’ve even tried a feeler gauge between them.
Problem is there’s zero room for bending as then the brake arm is nearer the
pivot nut/bolt.
Only way I can see is to take off a little of the bolt so that it’s level with the nut surface.
Should be enough then to clear and also be able to bend out the brake arm.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Just to make sure there is no confusion the part I am suggesting you bend is that part of the lifting handle that is causing the problem. No suggestion you do anything to the brake arms. If you take off the lifting arm and have access to a decent vice it will take only moments to move the offering bit outwards an eighth of an inch or so.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Just to make sure there is no confusion the part I am suggesting you bend is that part of the lifting handle that is causing the problem. No suggestion you do anything to the brake arms. If you take off the lifting arm and have access to a decent vice it will take only moments to move the offering bit outwards an eighth of an inch or so.

Thanks.
Not much room if any for bending.
The offending part is the bracket and pivot bolt that’s part of the main stand (FT13 /3AS).
There’s about 1/8” clearance between this and the footrest plate. By operating the stand I can see this is about right for one of the FT290 clips which is flush on the inside of the plate.
The plate flexes out a little as the stand is lowered so I don’t think this gap should be any smaller.

Having looked carefully at the arrangement, the brake lever can’t be moved over
to the right at all due to the brake cable support. Maybe a shorter one but then the cable isn’t straight.
The FT13 / 3AS stand bracket can’t be bent to the left due to the FT290 clip on the inside of the footrest plate.

It’s fine. I’ll be able to sort it by shortening the pivot bolt. It’s just all a bit tight around there.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Danno,

Unlike most folks here, I am familiar with the D but not the C in the areas where they differ. I do know that the pillion footrests are mounted differently. The RFM pivot bolt FT33/2 in the above diagram passes through a special D series item which I think the diagram lists as FT106/AS. On my bike that piece has a ball mount for a sidecar. That piece does not exist on a C but it is the item to which the two FT290 clips (also known as "springs" in astronomical circles;)) are mounted.

So the clips on your bike are mounted on something else, inevitably somewhere less than ideal for the purpose.

But I am wondering if your problem is that the whole stand setup had to be moved a bit to the right to allow clearance for the pillion footrest plate which the D does not have.

Gary