series D speed wobble

champion

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Please would anyone who has ever been thrown off, or nearly off, by their enclosed 'D' post, or message me with an account of what happened.

how it started and how the event finished?

I need as many details as possible, for example;

what speed the bike was going?
was a pillion on the bike with you?
was there a witness? if so please can you add there account?
where did the event take place? (please descibe the topography and the scenery)
Approx what time of day?
was there anything unusual about road surface?
what were you wearing?
were you carrying luggage?
how far (approx) were you going? and how far had you got?
is your D fairly standard, if not how so?
do you remember what dampers, suspension and tyres you were running on at the time?
what tyre pressures do you run? were the dampers particularly soft or hard?

Thanks

Champion

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Champion, I hope you are just Collecting Info' and are not talking from experience. One of my thoughts is that you are better off with a 300/20 front tyre, But I think all the "Ds" had 19 inch fronts. Once you have been thrown off you never forget it, Not Nice !! Stay safe, Bill.

champion

VOC Member
Thank you Bill, I have never been on a 'D' only ever ride my 'A'. I am doing my dissertation at university at the moment, and looking at motorcycle aerodynamics. I hope to look at road and race bikes old and new.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Did one of the journalists of the day ride a very early Prince to Scotland and back and at least claimed low wind effect in the Blue or Green 'Un?

John Cone

VOC Member
I ride my prince with a 100/90x19 on the front and a 400x18 on the rear. The steering damper is set only so its nipping and the head bearing are set as they should be. I've never had the slightest problem as YET.

John Cone

VOC Member
Decebmer 1954 "THE MOTOR CYCLE" The rider
Vic Willoughby. Comments Weather shielding- greater warmth for hands and body... less wind and noise- I had the expireince of being in a high powered sports car... steering typically Vincent.. extremely positive and guaranteed to inspire confidence...The new suspension is a good as any I know and furnishes superb roadholding... uncanny quietness, rock steadiness and effortless at 100mph...machine kept cleaner...53mpg...easier startng... an inevitable trend in motor-cycle design. Quoted as written in the magazine.