Series D singles

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
In Jim Wilson's pictures of the recent BSA OC show in California, I also noted two Series D singles, one open and one enclosed. Personally, I am not much of a fan of open D twins, but Tony Cording's (I assume it is his) open D single is pretty tasty looking.

BSA Show

Albervin

VOC Member
Agreed Steve. Not a fan of the blue one though. Obviously a personal choice but a bit of black would have relieved the overwhelming blueness; just like red bikes with a bit of black (Mitch's bike) look better than all red.

Colin

VOC Member
The late Ivor Simon made a replica D single some years ago, which could, in one sense have been a genuine bike, inas much as the engine was a very late C Comet, and everthing else was correct even down to a "Red spot" ampmetre. Ivor had the UFM specially made, I don't know by whom.I bought the bike from a Lester Torode in Guernsey many years ago (can't remember when) and it managed to leak most of its oil on to the road in a very short journey to the Poole Ferry.A kindly Dock worker gave me a fill up from the ferry oil supply on the dockside. This bike completed my collection of A, B, C, D, and Egli singles for a short while. Some one (again can't remember who, but "Jim ?" springs to mind) wanted it, couldn't actually afford it so swopped me for a very nice Rapide. The Rapide was in turn swopped with a BMW dealer for a brand new R80GS with ALL the accesories and £3000. That GS has been around the Club and may still reside with Pete Sharpe. One by one the "B" and "C" moved on, so that now I only have my "A" Meteor and the Egli Comet, both cracking good bikes.For many years the singles were under rated, not now of course.The above, plus my trials Comet "The Arbuthnot Iron " accounts for my "handle" "Single-Minded" Not -a-lot-people-know-that!

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The late Ivor Simon made a replica D single some years ago, which could, in one sense have been a genuine bike, inas much as the engine was a very late C Comet, and everthing else was correct even down to a "Red spot" ampmetre. Ivor had the UFM specially made, I don't know by whom.I bought the bike from a Lester Torode in Guernsey many years ago (can't remember when) and it managed to leak most of its oil on to the road in a very short journey to the Poole Ferry.A kindly Dock worker gave me a fill up from the ferry oil supply on the dockside. This bike completed my collection of A, B, C, D, and Egli singles for a short while. Some one (again can't remember who, but "Jim ?" springs to mind) wanted it, couldn't actually afford it so swopped me for a very nice Rapide. The Rapide was in turn swopped with a BMW dealer for a brand new R80GS with ALL the accesories and £3000. That GS has been around the Club and may still reside with Pete Sharpe. One by one the "B" and "C" moved on, so that now I only have my "A" Meteor and the Egli Comet, both cracking good bikes.For many years the singles were under rated, not now of course.The above, plus my trials Comet "The Arbuthnot Iron " accounts for my "handle" "Single-Minded" Not -a-lot-people-know-that!

I am now lucky owner of the Ivor Simon D Comet, and a fine motorcycle it is too, and it does not leak a drop of oil.

RAT 124

Forum User
VOC Member
I bought a Comet in 1968, PXM 580, and sold it to Ivor Simon in October 1984. Ivor had it converted to a D and the work was done by Dave Skelton who had a motorcycle shop in Redcar. I would be fair to say that Dave did not enjoy doing the work on the bike for Ivor. At some stage Ivor sold the registration number to a coach firm. Dick Pilgrim owned the bike for a short period and then Ivor bought it back and it was sold to someone in the channel islands. A few years ago I was contacted by Joe Callison from Stanford le Hope in Essex who had bought the bike and I was able to supply some history.