Misc: Everything Else Series D seat hinge

John Cone

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Loco, I have an enclosed D (Prince) I could send photo's of mine, it also has some wiggle. I had the same issue and was told to fit a cupboard door catch to lock it in place which is simple on a Prince but not sure on an open 'D' you may have to fabricate a bracket to fit a catch on to.
Hi Tom, this is what i used on my Prince to stop the seat from moving from side to side. Fit the peg into the seat and mount the actual catch under the cowl. The peg goes through the hole in the fibreglass and locates into the catch. It is an oven door catch.

seat
7bf1a94c-de36-4f58-8117-ef81e4baf389.jpg
IMG_6798.JPG
IMG_6799.JPG

Last edited:

LoCo

New Forum User
VOC Member
Gary do you know if your seat base is original. From the underside picture Yours looks like has a hump along its whole length.
This is what mine looks like.
Its been cut up and rewelded and had extra strips pop riveted on along the edges as bracing at some stage.
Ill be looking at getting either a new base or fabricating one.
Any one have any suggestions on material, shape or improvements?
Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 18

timetraveller

VOC Member
If you or a chum has any experience with fibreglass then that is ideal. Several have been made with that over the years so it is possible that someone has a mould.

Last edited:

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Gary do you know if your seat base is original. From the underside picture Yours looks like has a hump along its whole length.
Yes, I believe it to be original. It was a bit of a mess, but not as bad as yours. In the front section, there was a plate welded in to shore up the rusted area. It was coming off but I was able to clean things up and re-weld it. I then located the best position for the two countersunk screws and drilled and tapped the holes. Then I did a lot of grinding and patching across the bottom to get it in "reasonable" shape in preparation for painting. It fits well and with the reupholstering done by Leighton, looks OK (in my opinion) and works well.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
If you or a chum has any experience with fibreglass then that is ideal. Several have been made with that over the years so it is possible that someone has a mold.
I had a seat mould, that was loaned to phil primmer, that has since disappeared, heaven knows who has it now.
norm

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I just remembered that I didn't "drill and tap the holes". I welded nuts on the inside of the plate. Getting old has its downside. What's the upside? Haven't found it yet.

It's too late to make a mould (mold in these parts) from mine, or I'd give it a go.

kerry

VOC Member
This is my open D seat, clips work really well with no movement, they both push onto the INSIDE of the side arm rods. the lower strap was just something I fitted to make it look better, also with the Avo coil over (low version) it is a joy to ride. Kerry.
DSCF1089.JPG

DSCF1063.JPG