Series D Rapide RTG88

RTG88

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I bought a Series D Rapide RTG88 from Conway Motors in February 1967 and kept it for about a year and a half.During this time I kept Dolphin Motors in Sileby in more or less full time employment! It did manage to get me to the incredibly wet Dragon Rally in '67 - and back too! But it was simply costing too much in repairs and upkeep so I sold it on in 1968.
It is just possible that it is still running though a lot can happen in 40 years. I'd be glad of any further information about the Rapide.

G

Graham Smith

Rtg 88

Peter

According to the Club records, RTG 88 was last heard of in Derbyshire in 1976, so I would imagine it is still in existence, but the owner's just not a Member of the VOC.

RTG88

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the replies.It wasn't red when I sold it on and the buyer (who owned a prosperous cycle business at the time) said he intended to restore it to original spec. So out with the Specialloids and MkII cams!
Presumably it's been through several hands since then. Not registered since 1988 doesn't sound promising but someone might find it in the back of a shed one day.

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
At least it was registered up to 1988.People new what Vincents are worth.So it shouldn't be in the scrap yard like some of the Comets that were 'Worthless':rolleyes:
Not like the 2 twins I'm told were buried in a North London garden in the 60's:eek:. Shame he can't remember which garden:mad:

Stub Mandrel

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My dad bought RYG88 new. He'd always wanted one . Went to Glanfield Lawrence in city road Cardiff to buy a big engine machine. Was going to buy an Ariel Square Four. None in stock but the salesman said the price difference had gone down to £30 and his parents loaned him the difference.

He says the front edge of the rear lifting handle should have a little dent caused by him bottoming the suspension doing a ton two-up and it hit the back of the seat. Also the speedo swapped out for the Black Knight one.

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My dad bought RYG88 new. He'd always wanted one . Went to Glanfield Lawrence in city road Cardiff to buy a big engine machine. Was going to buy an Ariel Square Four. None in stock but the salesman said the price difference had gone down to £30 and his parents loaned him the difference.

He says the front edge of the rear lifting handle should have a little dent caused by him bottoming the suspension doing a ton two-up and it hit the back of the seat. Also the speedo swapped out for the Black Knight one.
Stub,
I've just checked the reg on DVLA and it was last taxed in 1988, first registered in April 1955 and the last V5C logbook was issued in 2005. It also states it's red.
It probably still exists, although the last time a VOC member notified us of its ownership was in 1979 in Leicestershire.

Could you email me on research998@voc.uk.com with your fathers full name and the address he lived at, when he bought it new.
Do you have any photographs or paperwork for it?

Thanks
Jon Lambley
VOC Machine Researcher

Jonathan Lambley

VOC Machine Researcher
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I bought a Series D Rapide RTG88 from Conway Motors in February 1967 and kept it for about a year and a half.During this time I kept Dolphin Motors in Sileby in more or less full time employment! It did manage to get me to the incredibly wet Dragon Rally in '67 - and back too! But it was simply costing too much in repairs and upkeep so I sold it on in 1968.
It is just possible that it is still running though a lot can happen in 40 years. I'd be glad of any further information about the Rapide.
Hi,
Can you email me on research998@voc.uk.com as I'd like to confirm your deatils and ask you a couple of questions about the bike.
Cheers
Jon Lambley
VOC machine researcher