Series D lubrication

Tommy Shields

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello. At long last I am getting close to starting my Series D twin. I have been putting oil back in to it. Gearbox - no problem, chaincase - no problem, other bits and pieces - no problem. My question is, how much oil do I put in the series D tank? Also, how do I check the level within the tank. Where the oil returns to the tank my connector is straight through (I think theese are part numbers T29 and A83AS) should this be one way to stop oil returning through the system?
Thanks
Tommy

timetraveller

VOC Member
Assuming that you are sure that your crank case is empty then just fill up the tank until the oil level is and inch or two down. That is ensure that it is below the hole where the oil returns. There is no need for one way valves or similar. From memory it needs about 3.5 pints but provided that you keep the level visible but low then no harm will occur and you can always top the tank up after you have run the engine for a while if it is still low.

Tommy Shields

VOC Member
Assuming that you are sure that your crank case is empty then just fill up the tank until the oil level is and inch or two down. That is ensure that it is below the hole where the oil returns. There is no need for one way valves or similar. From memory it needs about 3.5 pints but provided that you keep the level visible but low then no harm will occur and you can always top the tank up after you have run the engine for a while if it is still low.
This makes sence. Thanks.

Howard

VOC Member
Timetraveller's first sentence is important. Either drain the crankcase first, or only fill the oil tank half way, then run the engine until all the various pockets in the engine (filter etc) have got their share (maybe a short run) then top up the tank. Always top up after a run in case the engine oil is draining into the sump when not being used.

H

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
On the Prince, I seem to remember that there is a step at the back of the tank, that can be seen through the filler, pretty sure that dave Hills told me to keep it at around that level.
if it is a rebuilt engine, there is asection in the back of KTB written by Ron Kemp about getting oil to all the right places before starting.

Tommy Shields

VOC Member
On the Prince, I seem to remember that there is a step at the back of the tank, that can be seen through the filler, pretty sure that dave Hills told me to keep it at around that level.
if it is a rebuilt engine, there is asection in the back of KTB written by Ron Kemp about getting oil to all the right places before starting.

Hi. My bike will not have started for over 30 years. I have read the section about getting oil to every nook and cranny. Very important.
I had a look down the filler hole on the oil tank and I dont think I would be able to see the oil level if it was just below the hole where the oil returns. Is there another way I can check the oil level?

timetraveller

VOC Member
Tommy either we have very different 'D' tanks or there is a misunderstanding here. Looking inside the filler neck of my bike there is clearly a block of metal with the adjuster for the chain oiler out of which the oil returns. You don't have to go looking for it, it is just there and obvious. Failing that use a length of wire, a long screwdriver or other long thin object as a dip stick. You should just be able to see the oil when it is anywhere near the correct level.

Tommy Shields

VOC Member
Tommy either we have very different 'D' tanks or there is a misunderstanding here. Looking inside the filler neck of my bike there is clearly a block of metal with the adjuster for the chain oiler out of which the oil returns. You don't have to go looking for it, it is just there and obvious. Failing that use a length of wire, a long screwdriver or other long thin object as a dip stick. You should just be able to see the oil when it is anywhere near the correct level.

My filler neck is to the rear of the bike. The opposite end to the chain oiler (which is blocked off on mine). I think we have different tanks.....