Series D ESA on Comet, Cover doesn't fit?

minivin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Minivin, Not wanting to "Teach my grandmother to suck eggs" but just make sure that PD5 engages properly onto the splines of PD4 otherwise PD7 will not screw down fully,this has happened on my comet at some time in the distant past. I know this because I can see to scour marks on the inside of the primary chaincase where PD7 has made contact.

Hooterman (Tone)

Nay probs, yes PD5 was in full contact, but alas I believe I was running a standard PD4, rather than the shortened Series D PD4/2. I believe now that it was this component that was my trouble. Now come winter (have we left it yet?), I'll buy one and have a play!

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Minivin, My attempt with a new Comet E215, E216 and PD3/3, PD5/2, PD4/2, PD35, PD7/2 plus springs of course and it would not fit under the chaincase cover.

minivin

VOC Member
Minivin, My attempt with a new Comet E215, E216 and PD3/3, PD5/2, PD4/2, PD35, PD7/2 plus springs of course and it would not fit under the chaincase cover.

Interesting Hugo, will be interesting to see what transpires with my bike this winter. Funny how the singles seem to suffer these problems!

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
My drag bike had its ESA function eliminated to deliver max shock to the rear contact patch , break it free to spin immediately .
Very light rear end and not too wide a tire had it spin up easily . Never broke anything but competitors hearts . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Like to add that with the ESA locked solid I was surprised how smooth the drive line power flow remained . One could feel only
for a very few individual pulses of motor firing as the clutch was feed in , then all was smooth again . My opinion was thar the triplex chain itself with all those oil soaked links served as a shock absorber itself , the oil cushioning effect easily felt . Sid .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
My Egli has no E.S.A. either as I have an alternator on the output shaft. But it does have a "cush drive" rear wheel hub. Works fine.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Our Vincati has both the functioning ESA and a rear wheel Cush hub , super smooth power transmission results . Certainly the life of the drive mechanism is made easier . Sid .