Series D ESA on Comet, Cover doesn't fit?

minivin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,

Does anyone have experience of fitting the 22 spring Series D ESA to a Comet or such? I have fitted this item from my racer, onto my road bike due to stripping the racer for a twin engine project (the Egli-Comet is going to become a twin!). However, I have come to the point of fitting the primary cover and it will not fit over the ESA outer washer.

I am going to remove the ESA and offer up the 18 spring earlier ESA which came off this engine two years ago (the restoration has taken a little longer than expected), but I am already thinking the twin primary cover has more space?

Any comments?

minivin

VOC Member
Actually, KTB may have answered my problem, the sleeve is presently a Series C PD4, which is longer than the Series D item, thereby pushing the nut and end washer further out. Oh well, back to the standard ESA....

davidd

VOC Member
Minivin,

Sounds like a great project! Are you mounting the frame on the twin and using it as a jig?

David

minivin

VOC Member
Hello David,

Fortunately my Egli frame was one of Cyril Malem's twin-frames, so in essence I am installing what should be present, rather than the Comet engine that I had to tweek the pillion plates so that it would fit.

Regards

Rob

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Hi,

Does anyone have experience of fitting the 22 spring Series D ESA to a Comet or such? I have fitted this item from my racer, onto my road bike due to stripping the racer for a twin engine project (the Egli-Comet is going to become a twin!). However, I have come to the point of fitting the primary cover and it will not fit over the ESA outer washer.

I am going to remove the ESA and offer up the 18 spring earlier ESA which came off this engine two years ago (the restoration has taken a little longer than expected), but I am already thinking the twin primary cover has more space?

Any comments?

I did the same. I tried to fit the D type shock absorber (from VOCSC) to the Comet. The cover will not close over it. The thickness and diameter of PD5/2 is the problem but reverting to the C type PD5 and PD8 rather negates any advantage.

minivin

VOC Member
yep, tiz strange. I have resorted the original item for the moment, I will have another experiment in the winter

hooterman

VOC Member
Minivin, Not wanting to "Teach my grandmother to suck eggs" but just make sure that PD5 engages properly onto the splines of PD4 otherwise PD7 will not screw down fully,this has happened on my comet at some time in the distant past. I know this because I can see to scour marks on the inside of the primary chaincase where PD7 has made contact.

Hooterman (Tone)

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Might I ask what the advantage of the D type ESA fitted to a Comet motor ? Way less power works the unit far less , dosent need additional springs . Can't see it . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Not to change the subject too much , but the Lightning being sold off , a lovely looking machine erred in having std tommy bar type wheel axles . Incorrect fitment . The pukka axles are waisted over much of their length and have possess a 14 mm hex end , not the tommybar . One uses his plug wrench on them . Our racers are so equipped . Small point . Sid .