Series D Distributor wanted because Boyer quit, again.

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi.All
I agree that it's hard to beat a good mag well set up the problem is if you don't have one.When I built my norvin I hadn't,
but I did pick up a points unit at a jumble for a fiver and my heads were twin plugged as well so it seemed a good idea.
Anyway all I have is a housing that fits in place of the mag,standard taper at the drive end,two sealed bearings about
2 in apart and a complete h-d big twin advance/retard on the other end.I made my own points plates(one full round plate
and one smaller section so you time the main set first then the second set to get the timing spot on.)sorry I cannot help if you want part numbers etc but I all I did was ask for the above unit,I bought one recently for someone else and it was about £50.you cannot use standard h-d points as they are too big,I used REV-TECH dual fire points but these are no longer produced(fortuneatly I have some spares) so you would have to sort out alternative points.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Roy, I have spent a lot of money on having Mag's rebuilt, I see no point in spending more if I can sort a dist' type out, Bill.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Hi, Bill, for my money theres no point messing with a distributor , when a reliable charging system is not yet available. I am on alton number three and am not yet convinced of its efficancy. Hence sticking to kvf's

vince998

VOC Member
Help please,

After witnessing the demise of the Boyer box on Will Collard's bike in Belgium, Chris decided to test the spare we always carry.

It failed in France after less than 1000 miles.:(

I am posting it back to Boyer in the hope they will replace it. The original box is back on the bike.

That's the short term solution.

Long term, Chris wants to fit the D system. Modern electronics are just not reliable enough. ( unless you know different?)

Plus these Boyer boxes are £100 each. Expensive if you are continually replacing them. (Why are they failing? )

Can anyone sell us a distributor? or the whole kit?( Roy Price not selling them).

Hi Tracey,
I can seriously recommend the Francois Grosset system.
I had problems with this system at the beginning, but this was all my fault (The Grosset system was set up for -ve. I changed regulator to suit (as i was set up for +ve), but forgot to turn my battery around and had the + terminal at the bottom. The ignition would blow in corners or after washing because of the + shorting to earth (Battery carrier)). After a long time faffing around and returning many electronic end caps for repair (always free of charge and with a max 1 week turnaround) i found the culprit and have been totally happy since (3 years/15000+ miles)
The system is very easy to set up, the atd is in the distributor and is bombproof, and once set up, it stays set up.
I am running 2 twin dyna coils (twin plugs on a wasted spark setup) lucas E3L dynamo (rewired to 12v), 7 A Landport absorbed glass mat battery (stood on its end inside an old empty 6V Exide battery), and 55 watt headlight.
I´ve never suffered a flat battery (at the austrian last year, water got into the horn knob and caused a short. The horn was going all night but the bike still starterd in the morning. 150 miles of motorway at 3000 - 3400 rpm had the battery full again.
One point to mention with absorbed glass matt batterys is they start to gas at 14.4 volt. Because the battery is sealed, this aint good so make sure your regulator allows a max charge of 14.2 volt. (this is standard on the Regulator i am using (K-Tech or something similar. The one with the green loop you have to cut for 12 volt)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Roy,I use an old Mini alt' on my special, A Mcdougleator on my old L/ning, And I have a Walkernator ready for a Comet if I ever build it, Touch Wood, They have been fine, Some people don't like the look of the Mini Mod' But it's been on there since the 70s and some people you can't please, !! Cheers Bill.

goin michel

Non-VOC Member
I'm with the François Grosset system since 2007 and I am very happy with it : last year with a light cable problem (on my Rapide) I took of the pinion of the alternateur, cut the lights cables to have just a minimum electric circuit : earth to battery and battery to Grosset system and the result : 600 kms without any ignition problem ! ( lights and horn were off, of course).

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello goin michel, I have not seen this system for sale, can you give us details, Price, and maybe photo, All The Best Bill.

goin michel

Non-VOC Member
Hello, Bill, you will find in MPH n° 749 (june 2011) down the page 57 an advert : ELECRONIC IGNITION DISTRIBUTOR : Electronic ignition coupled with proper integrated mechanical advance. Supplied complete with drive gear. Price starts at 500€ + postage. Enquiries : FRANCOIS GROSSET, Le Pont Ricoul, 35720 St Pierre de Plesguen, France. E-mail : pontricoul@aol.com

All the best
Michel

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Hi, Tracey,
did u solve yr problem? If u r still looking for a "D"-distributor, I might b able to help u. Sorry for my late reply, I read
yr post just now.
rgds, Mike