Series D Distributor wanted because Boyer quit, again.

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I used std atd with two sets of points on my norvin for several years but it wouldn't tick over properly or shut down quickly when the throttle was closed.Eventually realised the atd is set up to overcome the drag of a mag whereas points don't really have any drag so it wasn't retarding!.Now running a fixed mag pinnion with a harley atd (which by the way is a real quality piece of kit being properly machined out of steel not pressed from tin) with one cam ground off and the same twin points.Starts first prod,ticks over,pulls from nothing and shuts off instantly even running 34mm mikuni's and MK11's

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Chris, We need more info' What did you mount your points on and what Harly bits do we need ? Cheers Bill.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
never mind "what h-d bits do we need?" where to sourse an ignition module for a '70's caddilac or a dukes of hazzard dodge charger! whilst i must admit this is actually rather clever, why bother to build something from obsolete foreign parts when the kvf 50 from the prince of darkness can still be restored effectively ?

Last edited:

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
I'm with Roy on this. I have magnetos on my Rapide for 20 years. The plural is important because I have had bad ones. But the one on now has been good for 10 yearsand the one on my Shadow has worked fine for 5 years. One reads a lot less about dodgy mags than about dodgy electronic systems or for that matter dodgy distributors. OK so if it ain't broke it's only a matter of time, but I will keep you posted. It would be interesting to carry out a survey of the mean times before failure of the various ignition systems currently in use.

Last edited: