Series D advice wanted

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi, I'm rebuilding my open series D, can anyone recommend a 6 volt horn to be mounted in the original position? The bike came fitted with a Series C mag shield and I would like to mount the coil in there. Any advice / tips would be very welcome.

Regards Mac

macvette

Non-VOC Member
I'm not bothered about which horn it is because it's out of sight. The bike came with an Alette horn fitted to the rear frame but it looked ugly and I don't want to put it back . The bike was in it's previous ownership 40 or so years and has some judicious series C features such as quick release axles, the previously mentioned mag shield and finned brake drums to mention a few. I'm putting it back as I got it, not strictly to original because I like it as it is (except for the horn and the coil location). Whilst I'm on here, the seat the bike came with was a home made affair but it was the correct shape and fitted with an original hinge which was not visible with the seat in the riding position. I got a seat from Bob Culver but it is signficantly thinner at the tank end and doesn't sit correctly on the subframe at the front when using the hinge supplied with the Culver seat. It does sit down correctly with the original hinge but the hinge projects about an inch and a half above the seat which looks ugly and makes me uneasy about the family jewels. does anyone know of either a supplier of the correct shape cover or complete seat so that I can correct this?

Regards Mac

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Hi, I'm rebuilding my open series D, can anyone recommend a 6 volt horn to be mounted in the original position? The bike came fitted with a Series C mag shield and I would like to mount the coil in there. Any advice / tips would be very welcome.
Hi Mac,
Have a look at artical number 9 page 129 in forty years on for informartion regarding fittingthe ignition coil under neath the mag cowl, if you get stuck for a bosch Tj6/1 coil I may still have my old one in the garage
Regards Mac

cheers stumpy lord

vince998

VOC Member
:D
I'm not bothered about which horn it is because it's out of sight. The bike came with an Alette horn fitted to the rear frame but it looked ugly and I don't want to put it back . The bike was in it's previous ownership 40 or so years and has some judicious series C features such as quick release axles, the previously mentioned mag shield and finned brake drums to mention a few. I'm putting it back as I got it, not strictly to original because I like it as it is (except for the horn and the coil location). Whilst I'm on here, the seat the bike came with was a home made affair but it was the correct shape and fitted with an original hinge which was not visible with the seat in the riding position. I got a seat from Bob Culver but it is signficantly thinner at the tank end and doesn't sit correctly on the subframe at the front when using the hinge supplied with the Culver seat. It does sit down correctly with the original hinge but the hinge projects about an inch and a half above the seat which looks ugly and makes me uneasy about the family jewels. does anyone know of either a supplier of the correct shape cover or complete seat so that I can correct this?

Regards Mac

Hi Macvette,
Why not fit the coil where the horn should go?
I fitted my coils (twin spark) here after the original horn shorted and nearly burnt the whole bike down (It´s amazing how fast you can get the tank off when you need to!!!:D)

I use Dyna coils that seem to work under any conditions.

You can also fit the coil under the tank on the UFM tube with a couple of home made clips if required.

The horn i replaced with a small japanese one under the seat. (All looks very unobtrusive)