Series D 6 to 12 Volt conversion

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you bend the fins slightly on the AO services regulator it fits in the Miller box,I've got 2 like that.Or bolt it under the battery support like I did with the Alton one.John

Last edited:

vapide

Non-VOC Member
I'm a bit puzzled by the AO regulator, because while most of the companies making electronic regulators make a 12 version for true 12V dynamos (which includes 6V ones which have had special 12V coils or coils and armatures installed) and 6-12 converters which let the output rise to 12V while restricting the field to 6V, the AO appears to be just a regular 12V regulator, which they tell you its OK to use on a 6V dynamo without any mods.

The first generation of 6-12 converters had a lot of trouble burning out field coils because most of them cheated, and ran the field coil at, say, 8V instead of 6V (all voltages given are nominal), in order to get reasonable output at lower rpms. But running a 6V coil on 12V does not seem wise.

Oh, one other thing. While its useful to know that the AO will fit in a Miller box with a little fin bending, those fins are there for a reason - to cool the components inside! Which they cannot do as effectively if the are bend and then enclosed so they are out of any airflow. Once again, I'm not sure how important this is, but is is something to be aware of.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
In the past I tried to run an E3L Lucas 6V on 12V and time and again it failed, eventually spitting out all the solder from between the segments on the commutator. I concluded that although this works in the short term and short usage, whenever it gets used for a lengthy period disaster will occur. With me it was every time I crossed into the closest US State (Washington) which requires daytime use of headlights on a motorcycle and the police pull you over and give you a stern lecture if you don't have it on. Not ever wanting to come under such scrutiny if it can be helped, I find it best to run the headlight, and in early days that meant after about 3-4 hours, a fried generator. My recent Comet aquisition had exactly this same setup, and I was assured it worked well, but had VERY limited use. I checked the generator and it's free running output was something like 12.8 V, perfect if regulated back to 6V but not good to try and regulate at 13.6 V to charge a 12V battery. A 12V generator, like a Chinamo puts out about 25V if left uncontrolled, so when running at 13.6 V works well. I'm no expert at anything - as many will attest - but having let the smoke out of quite a few wires in my time, I prefer using stuff meant for the job. The Comet is now all converted back to 6V!

Robert

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Two things; the AO services regulator can be used on either 6 or 12v. systems. For 12v. it's simply a matter of severing a loop of green wire that protrudes through the encapsulation-it's left intact for 6v. Ventilation does not appear to be a problem; after all, the unit is designed to be a direct replacment for the inner bits of a Lucas regulator.
Second thing; my understanding is that Chinamos are 6v. units,and like a lot of things from that country, are copies of earlier European designs-in this case Bosch I believe.

timetraveller

VOC Member
If you require the bike to look standard then you will have to go through all of the above but converting back to 6 volts sounds like too much eccentricity for me. Does one carry spare 6 v bulbs, coils etc when touring because you are most unlikely to find spares whilst on the road. !2 v stuff is everywhere including scrap yards if all else fails. Consider fitting the car alternator conversion suppled by Norman Walker and Dick Sherwin. No original parts have to be chopped about. You get up to 400 watts. It balances a 130 watt headlamp bulb, 6 watt rear bulb, brake light, coil ignitions and heated gloves at about 1,000 rpm on a twin and slightly above that on a Comet. It does not look standard but over 40 units have now been supplied, most to people who use their bikes for long distance touring. None have failed yet. They cost about the same as a Hamon/Alton unit but produce far more power. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris.R

VOC Member
The AO regulator will not fit in the miller box without modifying the box so will have to relocate obviously not an isolated case.

b'knighted

VOC Member
The Vreg2a that I bought for a Comet did fit inside a Miller cartridge case. I thought that it was made by AO. Faultless easy upgrade that lets a Miller dynamo run 12v coil ignition and LEDs. Doesn’t leave a lot for the upgrading the headlamp.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
And if you try and pull too much power from the 6V Dynamo the armature will overheat and melt all the solder that holds the commutator segments in and when you pull it apart it will look like a bowl of spaghetti. Go ahead, ask me how I know:D

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
For years I ran my Comet with the original 6V miller dynamo with a V-Reg 2 voltage regulator giving 12 V output. Regulator is mounted on the underside of the battery platform. I was aware of the slight risk of overheating the windings in the dynamo so I had LED tail light insert and low wattage headlight globe from Paul Geoff.

I have recently gone all LED with one of the brilliant LED headlight globe units, again from Paul Geoff.

No problems at all but I am running a magneto as well so no ignition load. I would think that trying to run a kettering ignition with any more than say a 35W headlight would be too much for the dynamo and it would self destruct due to overheating.

Martyn

Attachments

• V-Reg 2b Instructions.pdf
    73.3 KB · Views: 13

Chris Launders

VOC Member
The components to convert the dynamo to a proper 12v one are now easily available compared to when this thread started, 12v armatures and field coils are all that are required.