Series C Rapide - starting after 8 year layoff

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
Having taken possession of my late father's restored Rapide,I would like to get it up & running again.
Has been standing for 8 years but ran fine.
Should I follow the post below?
I do all servicing on my 2 BMW's and realize the Vin's a little more complicated but I'm a quick learner!
I think one of the cork petrol tap seals is leaking but otherwise just new oils & fuel
would be ok.
It's fitted with Lucas electronic ignition and electric start.
Any help appreciated.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
1, drain fuel tank, 2, check all oil levels, 3 go borrow a set of starting rollers, 4, remove spark plugs, run-up on said starting rollers until oil returns to u f m , 5 put fresh fuel in tank, 6, install correct grade spark plugs, 7 GO for it, wonce the oil gets round go for a Ride ,8-ENJOY! good luck-Roy.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Lots of sensible advice there but apparently Danno is a non-member of the Club so one more tip: Join! Get to know local members (Herts & Beds in your area) whose knowledge and experience will be invaluable.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks
My father was a member but I've yet to join.
Re. oil draining & changing, where are the draining points?I think there are three.
Is it necessary to change the filter? The bike didn't to heavy miles since restoration.
Any particular type of gearbox oil? I use Hypoid 90 in the BM's but this is for differencial type boxes.
I'll try to borrow some starter rollers.
Dan

Peter Stokes

VOC Member
Hi Dan,

Don't use EP/Hypoid gear oil in the Vin. As I understand it, those oils can damage some non-ferrous bearings. The BMW is designed for it, the Vin gearbox was designed for engine oil. I am sure our experts will clarify and expand on this.

The books mentioned in the earlier thread - Paul Richardson and others - explain the Vincent basics very well, you really should get them.

Good luck - Pete

Last edited:

danno

Non-VOC Member
Ok thanks
I have some Comma Classic 40 oil so guess that would do everything.
Still unsure how to drain engine though.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Ok thanks
The Comma oil will be fine. To drain the engine oil loosen the banjo bolt a few turns at the lower end of the main feed pipe. That will empty the oil tank. To empty the crankcase, remove the drain plug on the left hand side of the engine just under the primary chaincase. The gearbox drain plug is sited behind the kickstart cover on the R/H side. The drain plugs are usually brass and require a well fitting spanner or socket (5/16" Whit.) A new oil filter would be a good thing. Come back if you need more help.

Howard

VOC Member
Ok thanks

Danno

If you don't find any rollers, use a thinner oil to start with (15/40 multigrade) - it's a lot easier on the battery/starter (kicking leg). After that, read the 1.6 million threads on this site regarding best oil for a Vin.

To drain "engine oil" see the VOC home page go to info/technical/series C components page M041 part N is the drain plug. This will drain oil that's drained into the engine, but it should be a dry sump. Two oil pipes go to the bottom of the right hand side of the engine remove the banjo bolt from the feed pipe see M018, if the oil doesn't drain freely, remove the pipe back to the oil tank and make sure any taps, valves and fittings are clear. Note - you're tinkering with a 60 year old engine, they've all been modded over the years so don't assume you've got everything like it left the works.

Don't forget to renew all washers.

Good Luck and join the VOC.

H

Looks like Len and I were writing at the same time.

Last edited: