F: Frame Series 'C' Mudguard

Michel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello everyone,
Cracking of the rear mudguard at the attachment points is a known disease of Serie C. Do you know a supplier of the FT148 mudguard and its FT152 reinforcement ?
What assembly advice to avoid new cracks ?
Greeting.

vibrac

VOC Member
Obviously the Spares company www.vincentspares.co.uk sell the mudguards made on the original rolling mill so that's probably a good start. What other (cheaper?) sources supply, and how resistant to cracking they are I would not know. There is a lot of advice on stopping corrosion between the steel and alloy components but basically the correct quality components assembled as planned all those years ago and occasionally checked for tightness are, as can be seen on countless examples, very durable.
The set on my road Comet were not cracked but had been discarded by some polish fanatic as being "useless" by corrosion dimples, I simply had them powder coated black, good for another 70 years
1626942001150.png

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
When assembling make sure you do not stress the rear mudguard at all, especially the two front mounting point points where the mudguard fits to the RFM. Don't tighten the nut and bolt to pull the mudguard as it will stress it so its best to fit a spacer or shim to fill the gap there.

After nearly 30 years of ownership of several Vin's, I have never had a cracked rear mudguard but I never use the rear stand if possible and I think some cracking of rear mudguards is from using the rear stand. Just look at where the stress of putting a bike on the rear stand are transfered through, basically through the mudguard. When you pull on the rear mudguard lifting handle which pulls the bike backwards that stress is transfered through the mudguard mainly via the two forward mudguard fixing points which are attached to the RFM. When you are pulling the lifting handle backwards it tries to rotate the mudguard arount the lifting handle to RFM lower bolt.
Well thats my theory, I will now go and stand in the corner.

Simon

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Hello everyone,
Cracking of the rear mudguard at the attachment points is a known disease of Serie C. Do you know a supplier of the FT148 mudguard and its FT152 reinforcement ?
What assembly advice to avoid new cracks ?
Greeting.
This service letter , although its directed at B series, may provide some insight. Seems its a well recognised issue!

Attachments

• SL 6 Rear Mudguards   01.jpg
    SL 6 Rear Mudguards 01.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 53
  • SL 6  Rear Mudguards 02.jpg
    SL 6 Rear Mudguards 02.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 53

kerry

VOC Member
the spares company have recently received improved thickness ones. I just fitted some and they are better.

Michel

VOC Member
Hello everyone,
The VOC Spares Company is out of stock. Do you know of another supplier of quality mudguards (for Comet Serie C) ?
Thanks.