ET: Engine (Twin) series c distributor

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am not clever, But if you think of an old single cylinder BSA, There is no rotor arm, So just a wire to the dist'
From the coil and the other + feed wire to the coil.
The 2 ended coil I used had to be for Points !!, Not electric ignition, Different ohms !.
Len has used it for years, I didn't trust it so carried all the standard stuff, Easy to change back,
I was out "Testing ", Playing silly beggers, And it made a bad noise, Smelt really bad and stopped !!.
My timed breather pinion came loose on the alloy centre and took the teeth off the fibre pinion.
I was testing for performance with the wasted spark, Some say you loose a bit of power, But I found it was fine,
Till it went bang :D , Long push on a very hot day, Too old for this !.
I fixed it in a few days and have been out since.
DSCN0136 (3).JPG

Chris Launders

VOC Member
There would be no difference in the wiring, just two HT leads out of the coil, one to each cylinder, take off the existing rotor arm and cap with HT leads, fit new cap, job done.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Bill does your distributor have a proper Series D cam?

A friend had a very late Velo Thruxton with a distributor. It must have had something similar to the BSA single.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes Bruce, First thing I did when it packed up was back to standard "D",
I had the standard cap and coil and leads, And rotor With me.
I had not had the T/case off in 38 years !!, So my fault really,
It was going so well.
It's not been often I haven't got home, Under my own steam, If I had a fault with my Bikes,
But me and the Bikes are getting old now, Must admit I worry about it a lot now.
Been thinking about a New Suzuki V Strom 1050, But the Wife says NO.

vibrac

VOC Member
To Digress slightly I am going to use an Alton generator and a Thor bright spark fitted to the end of the magneto where the points are. This is on my post war Douglas magdynamo my reasoning is I need a dynamo so an Alton is the best choice now I have a reliable source of electricity why spend out getting a mag done when it can serve as a perfectly good coil ignition platform?

Bob P

Active Forum User
VOC Member
This is possibly the last Ron Kemp kit available at the Spares Co PR353-Kit
(coffee cup not included)

Attachments

• Kemp Dizzy.jpg
    Kemp Dizzy.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 48

vibrac

VOC Member
Norton model 50 and others had a mag style 3 hole pickup for their distributors when they had to drop magnetos I think Velos did too I guess you could squeeze a modified pazon pickup set up in there
if only there were an auto jumble you could soon find a donor one.