Series B RFM

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Strictly speaking there is no such thing as a Series B & Series C RFM.

What everybody calls a series B RFM, is the first "early" type used on series B machines. The second type is sometimes called "universal straight" which came about due to the introduction of the "Meteor". As the singles have the rear drive on the opposite side to the twins, the earlier RFM could not be used on a single due to the rear brake cable abutment getting in the way of the chainguard. This was changed to the later type that is the same on both sides with a removable brake cable abutment, hence universal. At the same time the factory took the oppotunity to lengthen the RFM slightly. This due to the jig design moved the seat pivot bracket on the RFM backwards slightly and so altered the geometry of the rear seat stays. Not many RFM's were made like this before the error was spotted, and so they corrected it with the curved seat stay brackets to restore the original seat stay geometry angles. Sometimes called "universal curved", this is what most call the series C RFM, except some series B machines were built with such an RFM as well.
So if you see what you think is a series C RFM with series B frame number, don't assume its wrong. Ask somebody who may know like the registrar.

Simon

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There is no such thing as Standard !!, Simon has done some research !. I have a "C" rear frame, Some Clown has took the seat stays off, Ground the top lug , To fit a "D" spring !, And drilled big holes in the Pivot lug !, O.K. it was Me !. Is it worth more or less ?, If it was used for Racing Surly it must be worth More ??. Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Brian, The Clown has never been worth anything, You ask the Wife !!, But that rear frame was FAST !!, "Provenance" ??.
Can't wait to see how your T.P. Specials work out, Keep up the good work, Cheers Bill.

norvin998

VOC Member
Ernie.
My Rapide left the factory as a B but now has a C RFM, let me know if you are interested in swapping.
Les.

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
I'll let you know Les, thank you. I have a C on my 1300 which I could swap cos it has an 18" wheel. I haven't made up my mind.