Series B RFM, where do I find one?!?

Little Honda

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
As an update, I've managed to source a straight stay RFM and am now in the process of building the rear end of the bike. Gonna be a busy spring in the kitchen.......
Note, that you have a twin RFM there with only one rear brake cable abutment, before they introduced Comets
on the market.

Somer

VOC Member
I had a RFM once that was the same length as a C RFM. It had straight lugs. Would have been for circa 1949 bike. Allegedly when they stretched the RFM and retained the straight lugs; it appeared the seat stays might go over center. Hence the forward curve. A picture of yours would be helpful.

Albervin

VOC Member
I had a RFM once that was the same length as a C RFM. It had straight lugs. Would have been for circa 1949 bike. Allegedly when they stretched the RFM and retained the straight lugs; it appeared the seat stays might go over center. Hence the forward curve. A picture of yours would be helpful.
Are you talking to me Somer? The later, longer straight lug universal (C) RFM allows a Series C chain guard to fit as opposed to the slimmer Series B chain guard, which is shorter and has different mounting brackets.

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Are you talking to me Somer? The later, longer straight lug universal (C) RFM allows a Series C chain guard to fit as opposed to the slimmer Series B chain guard, which is shorter and has different mounting brackets.
Not only. The first Black Lightnings had these lengthened "short" RFMs, to take the 20" rear tyre, which did not
fit well under the normal RFM. PEI referred to this short period in a very early MPH (50?)

Whiteshadow15

Non-VOC Member
I know the original inquiry was many years ago, but we do have a series B rear frame available if anyone happens to be in the market.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The Vincent was one of the very first motorcycles to come with a proper dual seat as standard. In 1948 many bikes used inferior rear suspension such as plungers, sliding pillar or the awful sprung hub. I am sure most passengers in the day appreciated what they had when on a Vincent.

Except the passenger on a standard Vincent gets virtually no benefit of rear suspension, they might as well be on a hard tail Harley.
My 250 lb barbell placed in the centre of the pillion section of the seat compressed the spring boxes 1/16 inch.
The Harley might bend as much!
Strap the bike or have someone hold the bars and try pushing down on the rear of the seat to compress the rear suspension, as you might with a swing arm bike. It's a brick.
All concepts of a lovely suspended ride quickly disappear.
T'aint there.

Glen

Last edited: