• For any queries related to registration, engine numbers, frame numbers or buying a Vincent motorcycle, the only Club Officials who have access to all the Factory (Works) Records up to 1954 (including dispatch records) and worldwide ownership details gathered by the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club since 1948 are Simon Dinsdale (Machine Registrar) and Jonathan Lambley (Machine Researcher).

Never rely on Certificates of Authenticity or Dating Certificates issued years ago, nor information provided by sellers. You should always satisfy yourself that you know what you're buying before you bid/buy. Always do your own due diligence.

Simon and Jonathan can be contacted by following THIS LINK.
  • Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Series B RFM, where do I find one?!?

Albervin

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I "heard" that there were probably 150 of the longer straight tab RFM's built. I was told that there was potential for the seat stay to go over center; so it was curved forward to keep the angle. Like I said, I "heard' all of this.
Did you hear that through the grapevine Somer? I also heard that I have one of the rarest Black Shadows; A Series C with HRD engine castings, straight seat lugs and intermediate first gear.Possibly one of thirty. I think the grapevine needs a prune.

TouringComet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Alyn, my favourite rare feature of your bike is the HRD castings with the documented use of the Vincent scroll transfers on the tank.

TouringComet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
And don’t laugh, there are instances where the factory duplicated engine numbers, correct?

Phil H

Website User
Non-VOC Member
I have a C Rapide RFM with straight seat brackets. I think that they look rather like an add-on, and are not nearly as elegant as the curved ones. By the way, what could Irving have been thinking of when he defended that brutal seating arrangement, whereby the poor passenger was guaranteed a luxurious ride by only being subjected to something like HALF of the road shocks. My C Rapide (with curved seat brackets) had the original arrangement for a very short time before I fitted a straight tube from the seat rear to the rear of the engine as per Series D.
-Phil

Albervin

VOC Member
The Vincent was one of the very first motorcycles to come with a proper dual seat as standard. In 1948 many bikes used inferior rear suspension such as plungers, sliding pillar or the awful sprung hub. I am sure most passengers in the day appreciated what they had when on a Vincent.

vibrac

VOC Member
If you remember that when the Vincent rear suspension was designed a cheap small efficient hydraulic unit was a decade or so away. In that context they incorporation of the dampers on the seat stays was very clever. At the time only Wiffeling Clara the vello racer had a well known dualseat and the only comparable contemporary design with a swinging arm was the Douglas T35 another mold breaking design but again without hydraulic damping, I know from first hand experience that the spring occilations could build up in certain circumstances and then both the passenger and rider would bob about more than the Vincent passenger. No, worry not, the Phil's knew what they were thinking about

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
Totally agree there Tim. I have ridden a T35 and a MkIV and the torsion suspension works to a point. After that point it becomes a pogo stick. Also, because the bike is quite light, it can jump across the road quite quickly.

Little Honda

VOC Member
As an update, I've managed to source a straight stay RFM and am now in the process of building the rear end of the bike. Gonna be a busy spring in the kitchen.......
Note, that you have a twin RFM there with only one rear brake cable abutment, before they introduced Comets
on the market.

Somer

VOC Member
I had a RFM once that was the same length as a C RFM. It had straight lugs. Would have been for circa 1949 bike. Allegedly when they stretched the RFM and retained the straight lugs; it appeared the seat stays might go over center. Hence the forward curve. A picture of yours would be helpful.

Albervin

VOC Member
I had a RFM once that was the same length as a C RFM. It had straight lugs. Would have been for circa 1949 bike. Allegedly when they stretched the RFM and retained the straight lugs; it appeared the seat stays might go over center. Hence the forward curve. A picture of yours would be helpful.
Are you talking to me Somer? The later, longer straight lug universal (C) RFM allows a Series C chain guard to fit as opposed to the slimmer Series B chain guard, which is shorter and has different mounting brackets.

Little Honda

VOC Member
Are you talking to me Somer? The later, longer straight lug universal (C) RFM allows a Series C chain guard to fit as opposed to the slimmer Series B chain guard, which is shorter and has different mounting brackets.
Not only. The first Black Lightnings had these lengthened "short" RFMs, to take the 20" rear tyre, which did not
fit well under the normal RFM. PEI referred to this short period in a very early MPH (50?)

Whiteshadow15

VOC Member
I know the original inquiry was many years ago, but we do have a series B rear frame available if anyone happens to be in the market.

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?