Series B RFM, where do I find one?!?

minivin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Evening all,

Although I'm going to shortly put a wanted request in the club mag', anyone know of a Series B RFM under a bench somewhere?. I've managed to acquire a Series B UFM for a Rapide that is pre-rear damper (i.e. it ain't slotted, now there's a dilemma in itself..... it's serial number is in the range where it can have a hydraulic damper......), and now with having a pair of pistons to get the engine finished, I'm now wanting to acquire the other end so I can start thinking about building up the cycle parts.

Anyone know of an RFM collecting dust?!?.

Regards

Robert Vincent
MiniVin

Albervin

VOC Member
Evening all,

Although I'm going to shortly put a wanted request in the club mag', anyone know of a Series B RFM under a bench somewhere?. I've managed to acquire a Series B UFM for a Rapide that is pre-rear damper (i.e. it ain't slotted, now there's a dilemma in itself..... it's serial number is in the range where it can have a hydraulic damper......), and now with having a pair of pistons to get the engine finished, I'm now wanting to acquire the other end so I can start thinking about building up the cycle parts.

Anyone know of an RFM collecting dust?!?.

Regards

Robert Vincent
MiniVin
Robert, you could always try for an early C RFM with straight seat stay lugs and so reduce your problems but maintain the correct "look". As it will be non matching numbers (unless you win the equivalent of the lottery) why pay for a B when a C will do? However the premium to be paid for either will probably be similar unless you find a friendly vendor. Good luck.

minivin

VOC Member
Must admit I wasn't aware of there being early Series 'C' frames with straight seat stay lugs. I'll have to keep an eye out!.

Regards

Rob

davidd

VOC Member
I suspect that the problem with the original FT/6 was not just the issue of tire clearance. This would have been a problem with 20" rear racing tires growing at speed, but it was probably not a serious production issue. The production problem was that the chain installed was a 104 pitch chain. When it was installed it could be too tight. A rat tail file could ease the problem. If you installed a 106 pitch chain it was too long and you could not sell a new Vincent with a chain that was at its limit, appearing to be worn out. (The FT6/1 uses the 106 pitch chain.)

I install the short RFM's on the road racers for the shorter wheelbase, but it is always a problem when I need to go to a 104 pitch chain for gearing reasons.

I cannot imagine that there were a lot of "C" RFM's with straight seat stays. It seems to beg the question: if the straight seat stays were too far aft on the longer RFM for proper seat geometry, how many were manufactured that way?

Also, you can get tricky with the rear damping if you do not want to cut the UFM. A damper in place of one spring box and a higher rate spring on the other side has been done successfully. For that matter, a coil over on one side and a lighter spring on the other would work. I would use any pieces that I could find and enjoy the ride.

David

champion

VOC Member
I would also be interested to know how few there are?

I am very fortunate to have one for my series B comet and it even has the correct frame number! I am aware they are very rare.

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
Machine Registrar has just written in MPH on the 3 types of RFM. I slotted - circumcised - my early RFM years ago - in situ - using a flexi hacksaw, a hell of a job but fitting a damper improved the ride a great deal.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Champion's bike is a "HRD" series C Comet (not series B). It is correct in having one of the rare RFM's with straight seat stay brackets but the removable universal rear brake cable abutment.

As I keep saying....there is no such thing as a series B or series C RFM.

Simon