• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Series B Rapide dimensions

Jeremy Churchill 1

Website User
Non-VOC Member
Hi there,

I need a quick answer to two questions:

What's the overall length of a Series B Rapide?

What's the overall height of a Series B Rapide? It's got Girdraulics and alloy rims with 19" tyres.

The books I have available give wheelbase, etc, but not overall dimensions. Accurate figures/best guesses (if informed) would be welcomed.

I need to get one in a hire van ASAP - after which (DV), I should be joining the Club . . .

Regards

Jeremy Churchill

tonythecat

Well Known and Active Website User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Jeremy,

Just measured mine length 88 inches. Height 44inches this bike has 20" front wheel and 5" speeedo which will make it a bit higher than standard, hope this helps.

Tony

Jeremy Churchill 1

Website User
Non-VOC Member
Won't you get a scolding from Brussels for not using millimeters?
A) As I'm nearly as old as the bike I'm picking up, I plead the "can't teach old dogs new tricks" line
B) As an Englishman born and bred, I reserve the right to tell Brussels what to do with themselves . .

and C) I'd rather risk a slapping from Brussels than the risk of being haunted by Phil Irving's ghost . . . :>)

Alan J

VOC Member
Measurements!!

Being of the "old school" myself-I find m.m. a pain in the proverbial butt!!- but we must move with the times!! my friend texted his son to say they had a 100c.m. of snow overnight!! his son is in "the Royal Navy"- "Dad, 100c.m. is a Metre" {well over a yard}, even in 1947, which I JUST remember, we didn't have that much!! I know in the "U.S. of "A" that is not much, but in the "old country" a yard of snow would be catrastrophic!! 3 inches {75 m.m.} bringsus:eek::eek::eek: to a halt!!

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
measurements

I have always considered anything measured in M M to mean "mickey mouse". Screw Brussels, our machines were made in "God's own" inches. Roy.

John Appleton

VOC Member
[. Screw Brussels, our machines were made in "God's own" inches. Roy.[/quote]

Exept bore, stroke and bearings at the time of the Korean war.

lindie

Non-VOC Member
metric's not so horrible once you get used to it. much prefer to read a set of verniers in metric for one thing, and face it, a tacho reads in 1000's of rpm, not 25/32's of the available revs before explosion. are multiples of ten really that evil when a standard oversize is generally 20 or fourty thou equating within a bees privates of half an and a full millimetre? standardization doesn't suck either with you two lots on either side of the pond having your own definition of a gallon. i still describe things in inches as thats a better general measure when asked the size of a part at work but for fiddly **** i'll take a millimetre and it's brethren any day.

Jeremy Churchill 1

Website User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks!

Thanks to all who contributed to this. I've always thought it funny that we Brits are so schizophrenic about our measurements - beer in pints, wine in 75cls, whisky in drams, etc. The thought of a plus 40 thou rebore on an 84mm barrel, and so on. . . .

Anyway, the cause of all this is now past, and was completely irrelevant when the time came. I was trying to get a hire van, and only one smaller than a Luton or a 1.5-ton (tonne?) thing with a tail-lift was available in the time required - a small Transit Connect. Anyhow, I had worked out, thanks to Tony, that I could just get a Vin in there, so turned up to collect it, only to find that the previous hirer had just wrapped it round a tree!

Fortunately for me, the very-nice-man-in-the-office was so embarrassed about this that he'd rung a neighbouring branch and found a vast VW that could've taken half-a-dozen (sorry - 6) Vins at once. (No, I don't know why it wasn't available before, either - but he let me have it at the same price as the much smaller thing, so I didn't wait around to find out) So I set off into the sunset and all's fine now. Had to have a 0.473176-litre or two on getting home, though, after tacking round the M25 all day . . .

TTFN

Jeremy