Series B Rapide 12v LED bulb for 8" Miller

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I see what appears to be bulbs that are low power consumption to fit early 8" headlamps on EBay and other places. Anyone had success fitting and using these bulbs on a Vincent 8" Miller or even a Miller 7" (which uses a different style bulb, but still avail)?
LEDEbayP36D.jpg

Mike 40M

VOC Member
I have a BPF P36d LED fitted to my Norton 16H. Since I don't need to do any MOT type exam, because of age, I can use it. Normal cruising speed on that is 45 Mph. As I usually ride it on sunny days, no problem. Dipped beam might possibly pass a test, Main is a joke. I suppose I could find my way home at night, because I was a dispatch rider and used to blackout lights. I don't recommend using a LED headlight bulb on a Vincent for night riding.
Mike

Goffy998

VOC Member
I now sell British Pre-Focus LED headlamp bulbs, they only draw around 7.5W so they have their uses. They are about as bright as a std. 50/40W ordinary tungsten filament headlamp bulb, so nothing spectacular, & the beam leaves a bit to be desired. If you adjust the headlight so that the dip is correct, the main beam is up in the trees. So far in BPF these are as good as you can get.
These are the same as the dynamo regulator chap sells.
I have some H4s coming in that are comparable with a good 60/55W H4 for brightness & beam pattern and draw about 20W
I have boxes of LED headlight bulbs that are absolutely useless, some don't even dip, so beware when buying from E bay
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyWhyNotLEDs.htm

highbury731

VOC Member
I now sell British Pre-Focus LED headlamp bulbs, they only draw around 7.5W so they have their uses. They are about as bright as a std. 50/40W ordinary tungsten filament headlamp bulb, so nothing spectacular, & the beam leaves a bit to be desired. If you adjust the headlight so that the dip is correct, the main beam is up in the trees. So far in BPF these are as good as you can get.
These are the same as the dynamo regulator chap sells.
I have some H4s coming in that are comparable with a good 60/55W H4 for brightness & beam pattern and draw about 20W
I have boxes of LED headlight bulbs that are absolutely useless, some don't even dip, so beware when buying from E bay
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyWhyNotLEDs.htm
Refreshing to see a trader say that what is in stock is NBG....
Are the new H4 bulb replacement LEDs 12V, or can they be had in 6V? Base fitting?
Paul

vibrac

VOC Member
A wicked thought came into my mind. If its possible to get a really good single beam out of an LED headlight then there is a good case for going back eighty years when often the head lamp was moved mechanically. A lever pivots the headlamp: click points down, click points up. I seem to remember there was even one that worked from a bowden cable.... And there is another method,is that the reason you have two headlamps Mr Banana man?

davidd

VOC Member
A wicked thought came into my mind. If its possible to get a really good single beam out of an LED headlight then there is a good case for going back eighty years when often the head lamp was moved mechanically. A lever pivots the headlamp: click points down, click points up. I seem to remember there was even one that worked from a bowden cable.... And there is another method,is that the reason you have two headlamps Mr Banana man?

Justin MacKay-Smith had a shortened choke cable attached to his headlight on the Prince. When riding two up with luggage he could adjust it to shine properly.

David.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
On my way through Plynt one Friday evening in 1963 apprentice fitter / turner on a D1 BSA Bantum I was shown a 1938 Earl's Court show model 600 cc Panther, it had two head lights, when the LH twist grip was operated it moved the LH head lamp to the left, at the same time disconnecting the RH light that was main beam. The son inherited it and restored it to a high standard and won a few best of shows then sold it onto Canada. A good plodder but not exciting like a Vincent.
One can get some very power-full flash lights £100 + and have considered adapting two or three lens portions inside a headlamp as the penetration of bought H4 LED's is really poor but general light great. Please inform us Goffy when you have found something half decent. Or the Nippon Denso 30 amp alternator will have to be fitted as the Alton is coping with the heated grips, but intending waistcoat & seat heaters. Dunlop seats in winter are seriously cold, hence sheep skin in use.

Goffy998

VOC Member
Highbury731. The new LEDs are only available in 12V negative earth and are the current P43t H4 car type fitting, should be here this month.