Series B headlight

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Does anybody know approximately when the headlight on the series B twins with bramptons changed from 8" to the later 6.5" or was it a case of you could have whatever you wanted?

Cheers,
Simon.

John Appleton

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anybody know approximately when the headlight on the series B twins with bramptons changed from 8" to the later 6.5" or was it a case of you could have whatever you wanted?

Cheers,
Simon.

Hi Simon , I can't tell you when they changed but I have had my B since 1962 and it had an 8 inch lamp when I bought it. It was built in May 1949.
Hope this is a bit of useful info,
John

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Series B Headlamps

If you've got a copy of "Vincent-HRD" by Peter Carrick,ISBN 0-85059-512-6 look carefully at the double page spread inside the front cover. It shows a works photo of newly built Series B's. That shows there was no hard and fast changeover from 8" lamps to 61/2". It seems they fitted whatever Millers had in stock.

greg burt

Non-VOC Member
My Father and his Mate bought New (Herds) Aussie lingo for HRD Vincents, in 1948 ,one had an 8 inch and the other a 6 1/2 inch Head light.
Greg:)

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator

Cheers,
Simon.
Probably no hard and fast rule. The photocopy of the factory build sheet for my '48 "B" states it was fitted with a 7" headlight, shipped to Argentina.

Trevor Rowlands

Non-VOC Member
MY ex 1948 "B" Shadow 1B/1305 sold by Humphrey's on 18/11/1948 was fitted with a 7inch headlight with fluted glass from new.Trevor Rowlands.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
miller lights

they came fully assembled to the factory one to a carton with dip switch loom tags and dynamo plug marked 8" early 1948 a few cartons arrived marked 7' we were told these are for Black shadows at this time we where making about 22 bikes a week 18 raps 4 shadows, has time went on7'' numbers built up we were told to use 8'' where possible as they were being deleted, never saw a carton marked 6 1/2' this is from memory 61 years a go I was fifteen at the time,