Series 'B' Gear linkage.

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Its a peice of junk-the 'kin thing didn't work as intended. hence the need for the modification!
To be fair to the original design, the objective was that the gear pedal would be in the same place relative to the footrest no matter where the footrest was positioned. Agreed, the one piece alloy gear pedal eliminates free play but are currently available alloy pedals up to the job? There seems to have been many failures mentioned on the forum.

vince998

VOC Member
To be fair to the original design, the objective was that the gear pedal would be in the same place relative to the footrest no matter where the footrest was positioned. Agreed, the one piece alloy gear pedal eliminates free play but are currently available alloy pedals up to the job? There seems to have been many failures mentioned on the forum.

As long as you don´t drop the bike on it len, it´s strong enough.
For all the technical superiority of a "D" (and there is a lot to mention by the way), the B part is very pretty!!:D

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
I only know of one C lever that has broken, when the bike fell over (the rear stand dug in on a campsite before the owner could deploy his bits of wood...). It was successfully welded.

Manx Nortons always had linkages. Mine did too. Not unattractive, but too many moving parts. Then I discovered that I could reverse the selector camplate and so use a one piece lever pointing backwards and still be "one up" and everything else "down". It was far, far better.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I broke a one-piece lever with ordinary (probably too rough as a new owner) use and had it welded successfully.