Series 'B' Black Shadow

Vince Farrell

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The works’ records for the vast majority of machines clearly state which series the bike is, the transitional period between ‘B’ and ‘C’ is wider than most people think. With all the ‘stampers’ that we now have in our midst an open forum such as this is no place to be specific on details.

Some of the statements already made on this thread just aren’t true, but over the years will no doubt become ‘fact’ as they were made on the VOC Forum. This is bad because it ‘muddies the water’ for the real enthusiast, but good as it also confuses the crooks. The three cylinder Shadow hasn’t yet been discussed, maybe I should start a new thread?

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I have copies of a few works records, with two different styles of 'Works Order Form'. The early style is quite detailed, and the only one I have of that type says 'Rapide B', so yes, it is clearly stated. The later style of WOF I have is not so detailed, and the three that I have simply say 'Comet' or 'Black Shadow'. Unfortunately, I don't know what style was used during the transition.

I am also sensitive to posting specific details when it comes to numbers. I posted specific numbers in this case because they are already visible in a publication.

clevtrev

VOC Member
The works’ records for the vast majority of machines clearly state which series the bike is, the transitional period between ‘B’ and ‘C’ is wider than most people think. With all the ‘stampers’ that we now have in our midst an open forum such as this is no place to be specific on details.

Some of the statements already made on this thread just aren’t true, but over the years will no doubt become ‘fact’ as they were made on the VOC Forum. This is bad because it ‘muddies the water’ for the real enthusiast, but good as it also confuses the crooks. The three cylinder Shadow hasn’t yet been discussed, maybe I should start a new thread?
So what`s my Shadow, Vince ?

greg burt

Non-VOC Member
black shadow

Brian Greenfields book states the first C shadow to Australia as
1B/2058 - RC3958B - Agent Elder Smith Sydney 4/49

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Originality

I think you are correct. Can one believe that Vincent scrapped brand-new Bramptons, perhaps when some customers actually WANTED them, because of a marketing decision to change to Girdraulics and to call the bikes series C?
(In my own, drilling for oil, business we updated tool model names regularly because when customers complained that what we were selling was proven crap, we could counter-claim that that was the Mark VII, but this was the new, improved, Mark VIII. It was, of course, exactly the same, but the scam worked. You wonder why oil prices are so high?)
Any bike built to whatever spec in the transition period is probably original, and anyone who wants to believe that series B stopped dead and series C started immediately thereafter is delusional. My own (Feb 1951) Shadow had a chrome rear wheel and a black front wheel. A friend's Nov 1951 Comet has black painted wheels front and rear. Concours judges, eat your hearts out: or be prepared to know a lot more than you do.........

It is self-evident that the evolution from Series B to Series C was a gradual process. Just consider the following early post-war changes by way of examples: the Rear Damper, the RFM length/curvy seat brackets/brake-cable pivot, the Crankcase changes, the Timing Cover, the K/S Cover, the Steering Head-Stock variants, Cyl Head Finning, Gear-Change Linkage, Cams, Cyl Studs, Large Idler, prop-stands, rear stand, petrol tank, 3.5" dynamo, stop-light switch, rear mudguard stays - to name but a few.

We know that all these modifications were incorporated at different times. I agree, that the arrival of the girdraulics was probably the defining moment that a decision was taken to announce the revamped machine a Series C, but some early Series C's still had Bramptons. That may have been because of a need to use-up existing stocks, or to meet specific customer requirements, or because of a shortage of girdraulic parts in the early stages - or more likely a combination of all three. I guess we'll never know for sure. :confused:

If I put Bramptons on my Series C, does it become a B? I say not - simply a C with Bramptons. All this is just my opinion of course, bu I have been known to be wrong, and lets face it, at the end of the day its all just academic. Go enjoy riding your Vincent whether it be A, B, C or D; the sun is shining and that's exactly what I'm about to do now. :)

Regards,
Peter Barker

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Bristol aircraft company where not able to suppy the number of girdraulice parts required for the orders vincents had so they had to go back cap in hand to ask bramptons for more supplies remember vincents made the wheel fork ends for bramptons so that was not a easy task

clevtrev

VOC Member
Bristol aircraft company where not able to suppy the number of girdraulice parts required for the orders vincents had so they had to go back cap in hand to ask bramptons for more supplies remember vincents made the wheel fork ends for bramptons so that was not a easy task
What was made by Bristol Aeroplane Co. ?