Series "A" Twin front carb float level

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Neal & Rodney had starting problems on the Tassie Tour back in March. I rode Rodney's and it felt new (which it is) and it went well, their ignitions did give problems. Now going back to the carb set ups, the slot in the body for the jet block to locate, mine has the air screw & throttle stop on top and I've fitted them with wire extended wing nuts so they can be tweeked at the L.H. side of the fuel tank. My bother Harvey's is underneath. As I wasn't sure and use to instrumentation I turned up 1/4"BSF banjo bolts and banjo with clear plastic tube and cable tied them to the side of the float bowl, also the front tickler is bloody awkward to get at so made with some springy s/s sheet an "L" bracket inverting it upside down, 1/4" hole so the bowl top pinch screw at one end then a hole to fit over the 1/4" Whit hexagon kinking it up so it clears the tickler and the upside down "L" side is hanging down the bowl, easy to find the bowl with gloved hand and squeeze it. The only thing I worry about is the air passing over the tops of the plastic tubes and wicking out my fuel but as I'm getting 150 plus miles to a tank and Harvey only 120 tops I'm not going to worry about it just yet. But it is nice to see the levels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
DIDN'T READ RIGHT THE BANJO BOLTS WERE SCREWED INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE BOWL WHERE THEY ARE DRILLED INTO THE BOWL THEN THE SCREW TO BLANK IT OFF. SORRY.
bananaman

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It would seem that the level for the front carb is at the base of the large banjo hole in the float chamber itself, or just above, but certainly not near the center. It is a very odd arrangement from the usual carb/float set up. The ignition has been revised so it now works more like coil ignition to help with the hard staring, with a switchable advance and needs an on/off switch.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
I've got 1 3/16" 10TT9s with 302 float chambers - I made an adjustable adaptor for the front float got the fuel level about in line with the top of the main jet.... runs great !!
TT 1.gif
TT 2.gif
TT 3.gif
TT 5.gif
TT CARBS.jpg

kettlrj

VOC Member
Hi Greg.
In a normal vertical carb, the fuel is drawn through the main jet by the vacuum created by the choke. If you set the fuel height of your horizontal carb at just below the main jet, then the vacuum will pull fuel up to the jet because the jet is in a sealed chamber and nature hates a vacuum. There have been many bikes fitted with horizontal carbs including Rollie Frees bathing suit Rapide so they do work. So set the level below I the jet which will prevent fuel running into the cylinder.
Good luck.
Richard