Series A twin frames

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just read Bill Parr excellent report on Series' A frames in MPH796. Many moons back a the International in the UK. when in Stevenage, bumped into Bob Clements we got talking and I said I was re Building a Series A Twin that was sent to Australia in 1939 and said it had been in parts for many year, he said do the frame Last ? he then said, we built the frame of the twin to match the engine no two were the same.

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Yes I did tell Bob Stafford this story, he said Bob Clements had told him the same story many years back

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My "A" Comet frame has a slight kink to the left just behind the headstock. I was warned don't get it straightened. Build the bike and check the wheel allignment. Well the wheels are perfectly in line, it steers in a straight line and after spending a long time with bars through every pivot point to measure if it was in line, everything, check out OK. Also the frame fitted around the engine and all the bolt holes lined up with no problems at all.

So don't assume a slightly bent series A frame is incorrect and need straightning.