Series A speedo drive.

Andy B

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Can anyone enlighten me on the correct speedo drive for the front wheel on my series A? I suppose it might be common on a number of machines? I have seen a few advertised on evil bay and will bid when I am enlightened thanks all in advance. Pictures would be great. Regards Andy.

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
So I found a book " The Vincent HRD in Australia" at the Bendigo swap here is Aus. Handed over my $50 and after a few more miles of walking the swap sat with my pie and read the 1st few pages. I was reading thru the list of the first HRD motorcycles to be delivered to Australia and found to my bewilderment that my machine was actually an Australian delivered bike delivered to "Greens" on 6/7/37 on board the SS Strathaird one of only 8 machines delivered to Australia in 1937. I say bewilderment because when we purchased the machine, very much a basket case, we were informed that he ( an Australian) had purchased the basket case whilst working in London from a friend and subsequently shipped the parts back to Melbourne on his return some years later, 30 years later he sells the parts to me and a friend to restore. By this time the parts had swelled to almost two machines, two complete frames and forks with two original tanks, 3 engines all Meteors and basically a complete machine minus some small parts. And three quarters of a challenge. One of the spare Meteor engines we have is one of the first Meteors sent to Australia on 14/8/1936 and we would be interested to hear if frame number D1193 is still around. What really amazes me is that the machine stayed together all that time and travel around the world whilst in bits! Anyway thought it would be interesting to post. Regards Andy
PS still looking for speedo information.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Morning Andy, Have you entered search in the top right hand corner of this page, Type "speedo drive A" then press search at the bottom, Leave the rest blank, There is all sorts of info, Vibrac tells us to go into Veloblog something. Cheers Bill.

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Bill, tried that with not much luck, really need a picture so I know what I'm looking for, frustrating thing is there are plenty around I just don't know which one is correct, thanks anyway. Andy.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Andy,
To the best of my knowledge, what you require for your 'A' is exactly the same item as the B and C postwar bikes. Namely, when turning the input shaft clockwise, you should peer down the speedo end and see that going clockwise too - and at a ratio of 3 turns input to 2 turns output. If both of those requirements aren't met, you have the wrong one.
HTH,

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

vibrac

VOC Member
Morning Andy, Have you entered search in the top right hand corner of this page, Type "speedo drive A" then press search at the bottom, Leave the rest blank, There is all sorts of info, Vibrac tells us to go into Veloblog something. Cheers Bill.
Actually if you search 'velo blog' you find the sacred word 'Velo' (second only to 'Vinny') has been taken over by push bikers, is nothing sacred:mad:!, actually as a school boy in the fifties and living then in the hilly Chilterns, I swore on my sixteenth birthday two things I would never do again, wear short trousers and ride a push bike ... so far so good:cool:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
So I found a book " The Vincent HRD in Australia" at the Bendigo swap here is Aus. Handed over my $50 and after a few more miles of walking the swap sat with my pie and read the 1st few pages. I was reading thru the list of the first HRD motorcycles to be delivered to Australia and found to my bewilderment that my machine was actually an Australian delivered bike delivered to "Greens" on 6/7/37 on board the SS Strathaird one of only 8 machines delivered to Australia in 1937. I say bewilderment because when we purchased the machine, very much a basket case, we were informed that he ( an Australian) had purchased the basket case whilst working in London from a friend and subsequently shipped the parts back to Melbourne on his return some years later, 30 years later he sells the parts to me and a friend to restore. By this time the parts had swelled to almost two machines, two complete frames and forks with two original tanks, 3 engines all Meteors and basically a complete machine minus some small parts. And three quarters of a challenge. One of the spare Meteor engines we have is one of the first Meteors sent to Australia on 14/8/1936 and we would be interested to hear if frame number D1193 is still around. What really amazes me is that the machine stayed together all that time and travel around the world whilst in bits! Anyway thought it would be interesting to post. Regards Andy
PS still looking for speedo information.
Andy
I will send you a private message.
Regards
Simon Dinsdale - VOC Machine Registrar

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
Andy,
To the best of my knowledge, what you require for your 'A' is exactly the same item as the B and C postwar bikes. Namely, when turning the input shaft clockwise, you should peer down the speedo end and see that going clockwise too - and at a ratio of 3 turns input to 2 turns output. If both of those requirements aren't met, you have the wrong one.
HTH,

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
Thanks heaps Peter, that helps a lot thank you for your reply.