Series A Petrol Tank -Painting and Lining

John Reynolds

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my query. I've just had a discussion with my painter and we've agreed on the panel shape and size, and the width of the gold lines, which he will apply.

While not claiming our interpretation as definitive, I feel that having asked the question I ought to share the decision with Forum members. I attach a Word document which, when printed at 100%, shows the shape and size of the panel. It will be noted that the panel tapers slightly from front to rear and the top rear 'point' projects further than the bottom one. It also indicates that the gold lining should be 4mm wide.

I hope that this opinion will be a useful starting point for other restorers of A Rapides facing a similar decision in the future!

Attachments

• Tank Panel.docx
    294.5 KB · Views: 80

Dinny

VOC Member
This may help.

Mark

IMG_0222.jpg

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The 20” tire fills the mudguard nicer than the post-war bikes, I think.

Also, how it must have felt to be astride a machine that would see off most anything else on the road and it has your name on it!

vibrac

VOC Member
The 20” tire fills the mudguard nicer than the post-war bikes, I think.
Neat but not a lot of rear chain adjustment I guess I seem to recall that they had tto increase the series B frame by 1/2" after complaints , hence the curved seat support bracket on later bikes

John Reynolds

VOC Member
Thank you Mark for the excellent photograph of the prototype A Rap. I had seen the photo before (on page 77 in the Back to A book) but a scan of the photo in the book would be of insufficient quality to scale up. The image document which you posted is of high quality and I have been able blow up the tank panel to full size - please see attachment. This shows that when the first bike was produced the tank panels were considerably smaller (at 3 inches in height and 6 inches in length including gold lines) than the later panels (at 3 1/2 inches and 7 inches respectively), which I had previously scaled. Of course, these may or may not be original whereas we know that the tank panel shown in the works photo is original.

So again, I'm faced with a quandary!

Attachments

• Proto panel.docx
    40.3 KB · Views: 52

John Oakes

Non-VOC Member
Also to note are the different fonts for the HRD on those images above. My model p and series A Comet has the commonly seen thicker font the same as the series b bikes. But my series a meteor has a thinner font without the white outline that matches more with the hrd on the engine case

Attachments

• 317ECEFB-0E96-4C62-87EE-C83980FFB502.jpeg
    317ECEFB-0E96-4C62-87EE-C83980FFB502.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 46
  • CDAC60D8-7E00-4A6A-93D3-244389EC7530.jpeg
    CDAC60D8-7E00-4A6A-93D3-244389EC7530.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 58F99B9F-3415-4ED4-928D-C069CDEEC6FA.jpeg
    58F99B9F-3415-4ED4-928D-C069CDEEC6FA.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 44
  • B6644A76-5B26-4A6C-B173-41AB39A7ABFA.jpeg
    B6644A76-5B26-4A6C-B173-41AB39A7ABFA.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 48

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
John, I think the thinner font without the white lines would be correct for your Model P. I wish I had some for my TPS if you know of a source?

I guess the Mercury transfer should be similar without the white?

Cheers

David