Series A parts wanted / needed

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Folks,
I have a question. I'm helping one of our section members here in Detroit get his Series A back on the road. Right now we are looking to get hold of the four position switch in the headlight shell. We have several three position switches. We are also in need of the voltage cutout. We were hoping we could borrow the cutout to copy. Any help of suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Steven

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Sorry, yes a Miller, it is a single.
100_3117.JPG

Michel

VOC Member
Hello,
This topic was already discussed a few years ago because I had the same request.
With time and patience I found the Miller 4 position switch and its resistor on eBay and the very rare BTH cut-out purchased from a VOC member.
I wish you the same luck as me.

Attachments

• 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 39
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 40

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
We are now looking for a voltage regulator box/cover, either to purchase or copy. Doug has purchased a small solid state regulator that can fit inside of an original box.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Is that the same as a post war Miller? The twin of course used common Lucas, although the sorter one.

Just the cover or do you need the base as well??

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
When I spoke with Doug on Tuesday, I think he mentioned there is a plan for the base in "Back to A" but I think he is interested in either option. If we can only get the cover we can make the base, if both are available he'll take it.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
If the mag/dyno is a BTH then the cut out box on top of the toolbox in question is just that, a cut out and a 10A diode will do the same job. An electronic regulator will not work as the BTH dynamo is a permanent magnet type and so there is no field winding for a regulator to control the charge. The 4 position switch which has a charging resistor is the crude type of regulator so off is no charge, ch is charge at 1/2 rate through the resistor on the back of the switch, and when the headlight is on then the resistor is bypassed so the dynamo is full charge. As the Dynamo only generates a max 24w of 6v power you won’t boil the battery, in fact you won’t even balance the lights unless LED bulbes are used.
The cutout box lid is different to the post war Miller units and these BTH cutout boxes are very difficult to find.

If you are using a Miller mag/dyno then there is not cutout or regulator on top of the toolbox, but don’t know what regulation they used.
Simon

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Just seen the photo of the bike n question and it’s a BTH mag Dynamo so the box is just a cut out and so as stated above no electronic regulator will work.