Series A miller regulator

Andy B

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Can anyone tell me the specifications of the Miller regulator fitted on the series A Meteor. I have a full set of Miller instruments except for the regulator, I believe it sat on top of the toolbox, can anyone confirm please? Was the Miller set up reliable/satisfactory?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The pre war miller dynamo had the cutout mounted on the end of the dynamo under the cover. I believe the dynamo was what is called a 3 brush dynamo and the position of the 3rd brush was set to control the output of the dynamo and so acted as a crude regulation system. I don't know much about these as my A has a BTH magdyno.
The early A singles were fitted with BTH mag-dynos and on those the cutout was mounted on top of the toolbox. There was no regulator as the BTH dynamo could barely keep up with the lights. The headlight switch sort of controlled the maximum charge by switching in / out a charge resistor mounted between some of the switch contacts. So the cutout / regulator you are refering to on the toolbox is for a BTH system and not a Miller system.

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
The pre war miller dynamo had the cutout mounted on the end of the dynamo under the cover. I believe the dynamo was what is called a 3 brush dynamo and the position of the 3rd brush was set to control the output of the dynamo and so acted as a crude regulation system. I don't know much about these as my A has a BTH magdyno.
The early A singles were fitted with BTH mag-dynos and on those the cutout was mounted on top of the toolbox. There was no regulator as the BTH dynamo could barely keep up with the lights. The headlight switch sort of controlled the maximum charge by switching in / out a charge resistor mounted between some of the switch contacts. So the cutout / regulator you are refering to on the toolbox is for a BTH system and not a Miller system.
Brilliant was wondering why my toolbox did not have two holes in it, all making sense now. Will check if I have the correct dynamo, what is the dead giveaway to tell if it's a "3brush dynamo" ? Ps got my dispatch papers thanks.

vibrac

VOC Member
You are certainly not wrong, and at this time of day too ! I've never seen a 3" three brush any photos please.
bananaman
Sorry couldn't resist :)
3 brush.jpg

Robert Watson

VOC Member
The Nimbus 2000 was made by a broom shop in British Columbia that does nothing but make weird and fancy hand made brooms. I know this because we used to have our "local" rally just a couple of hundred yards down the road!

Local is a relative term here, It was in Crawford Bay BC about 400 miles from Vancouver.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
The only Nimbus I know of is the Danish motorcycle, the early Stove Pipe (I call it the gentleman's bike) 4 cylinder inline ,3 or 5 bearing crank, inlet over exhaust,elegant forks, shaft drive and rear suspension. Then there came later 1934 the working mans Nimbus, inline 4 again two bearing crank with O.H.Cam with rockers in the open(last model had finned covers over them), 3 speed shaft drive into a rigid flat steel frame with telescopic forks and aero elastic seat suspension, wonderful sounding rarely seen outside of Denmark.Stopped manufacture in the 50's like most well made bikes.

Local round here means a little simple minded ! Too much inter breading.
bananaman