Series A Handlebar Levers

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think these are original if that helps.

Mark
View attachment 24731

Mark,
Wow! That is one of the best photos I've seen of an original handlebar layout - with what appears to be all of the correct components too. The only VERY minor gripe is that for some reason the clutch and valve-lifter levers have been reversed on the handlebars.
Peter B

Dinny

VOC Member
Hi Peter,

I’m not sure where the picture came from, Simon may have sent it to me as he sent me a load for reference or I may have found it somewhere whilst researching. I will have a look and see if I have any more.

Mark

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi Peter,

I’m not sure where the picture came from, Simon may have sent it to me as he sent me a load for reference or I may have found it somewhere whilst researching. I will have a look and see if I have any more.

Mark
Yes you got the photos from me, but I don't know where I got them from. The images are dated October 2011 and appear to have been grabbed off the internet as they are not very high resolution. Here is another photo.

Simon

Attachments

• IMG_3524.JPG
    IMG_3524.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 49

greg brillus

VOC Member
I have a heap of vintage levers of several types/styles, including some exactly as in the above pictures. There are Bowden levers and Amal levers, and these in turn have different but similar perches that the lever mounts to, including different pivot center distances. I will try and put some pictures on here to show, but been away down in Melbourne helping Phil racing the twin at the National Titles...........Cheers.............Greg.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Does anyone have, or know of any of the original Amal type one inch clips that I could buy from someone. I have plenty of the 7/8 Amal ones and I do have some one inch clips but these are a brass casting, then machined and plated. I feel the originals were a pressed steel one same as the post war 7/8 ones. The clutch and brake levers I have are finished apart from that, oh and the square headed screws, but they will come soon. It would be nice to have some proper type clips on there........... Cheers............ Greg.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I'm not sure the clips should be pressed type. On series A machines I have seen with supposedly original levers the clips always seemed to be machined castings and not the later pressed type used on post war.
Peter (A_HRD) may know better as he has done some research on levers for series A bikes.

Simon