Series A Handlebar Levers

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I posted a question under another thread recently and got zero response so I thought I would start this new thread.

Can anyone with a presumed original Series 'A' Handlebar Lever (brake or clutch) confirm what the pivot distance is please. That is the centre to centre distance between the pivot hole and the brake cable nipple hole.

If anyone would care to post a photo of their Series 'A' lever(s) too, that would be fabulous. It is really hard to find a period photo where they show with any clarity.

The reason for asking is that, along with a colleague, we MIGHT be able to get some made. To minimise machining requirements and to capture the finer details 'investment casting' would be preferred - despite the increased cost. They can be cast from brass, bronze, steel or stainless steel. I favour the latter - then we won't need the added cost of chroming. So two questions:
1. Is there a market out there for these?
2. If so, is anyone prepared to loan us an original lever assembly to use as a pattern?

We only want to do this once - and have it right first time!

Peter B

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Market .... Yes, I will have a couple please.
Originals ... Sorry. Can't help you.

Peter A

billirwinnz

VOC Member
Yes please Peter. I'd like a pair for my TTR. The ones I bought from vintage-replica.cz are nice quality but sit too far out from the bars and need an 8mm spacer on the cable to bring them within comfortable reach. There are sometimes Indian made solid levers on eBay but it's hard to tell if the dimensions are correct and they are probably just brass castings which might be too weak for a brake lever. I will measure my twin levers but while they are definitely old I can't guarantee them to be original.

Cheers Bill

vibrac

VOC Member
Perhaps someone going to the H&H auction at the Motorcycle Museum tomorrow could pop in to the series A on display and snap away

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I will have a set too please Peter, Do they come with the clamp horizontal so the advance/ retard /choke levers fit directly above, as I feel with all levers and individual clamps crowd the bars up too much. Will they be supplied with the square headed clamp screws ?
bananaman.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
I think these may be A levers. They are for one inch bars. The holes center to center are one inch. The threaded hole is 1/4 BSF. They are six inches long, made of brass or bronze. I was hoping to find the rest of the bike one day.
20181108_114740.jpg
20181108_114938.jpg
20181108_114606.jpg