Series A Fuel Tank-Mounting bolts

Bikerjoan

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
me spellinz nut gud

Thanks Albervin,
my slots had also been widened when I got the bike, I now know why.There doesn't appear to be much clearance between the top of the tank & lower handlebar clamps either.
I need to treat it with caution at this stage, it's been a challenge at times but it should soon be making the right noises again from that open valve gear.

Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited:

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
I'm told the front tank mounting brackets on my A are unusual, the tank sits on only 2 rubbers,( 1 each side ) the outer bolts are clear of the plate on the frame by about 1". I have linked the two bolts with an alloy plate, which makes a handy cable guide. I have also drilled the bolts and they are wire-locked. The rubber is only 1/8" thick, as the threads were pretty sloppy and I wanted to engage the unworn section - also it helps to reduce the damage inflicted by the handlebar clamps on full lock !! I've really no idea of what the 'standard set-up is, I must look under the tanks on other Series As this year. Took the A out for a run twice last week, to get the MOT and make the most of 2 nice dry February days in Kent !!

Robert Watson

VOC Member
So while we are on the subject, anyone played with the "Big" stainless TTR tanks. Mine has the 4 mounts on the front, the inner two of which only mate up with the slotted bracket on the frame. The rear of the tank is longer than a std tank and fouls the front seat mount casting boss. Anyone know how they were mounted?? The frame I think is one sent to the owners back in the late 40's or early 50's by the factory and has no numbers stamped in it. I have no idea if these two items have ever been together. The tank had some very crude bracketry soldered to the bottom but really didn't mate with anything on the frame.

Bikerjoan

VOC Member
A fascinating scenario Robert.

There's not many folks who could answer this with any confidence I guess but they are likely to be VOC members.It will be interesting to hear what comes back.

Good luck!

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
My twin tank is, as far as I know, 'standard' but the mounting bolts are the same as you describe, only the inner 2 line up with the slotted plate on the frame. Maybe the attached pic will help with your TT Rep tank ?
TTREP5.jpg

vincenttwin

VOC Member
On my A comet due to my long legs I have mounted the seat back 2" from the normal mounting point by putting a floor cement anchor down the down tube and then machined a block on top and mounted the seat front to that and moved the rear seat spring mounting points back onto the rear seat support arms .looks a little odd but makes it a way better riding position , I can send you a photo of it if any one wants it.
Peter Allen
VINCENTTWIN@AOL.COM