Series 'A' Frame Earthing Point

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Here's a little conundrum for those seeking absolute Series 'A' accuracy.

I have been asked what was the original factory frame earthing-point for the wire leading from the earth side of the battery? Also asked - was there a curvy-shaped earthing tab as per the postwar bikes? I'm guessing that original bikes with original wiring and batteries are difficult to find in order to substantiate any opinions on the matter! The questioner was actually talking about an A-Twin - but the question is also very relevant to the Singles too.

I can only guess that the long stud going through the top of the tool-box might be a likely candidate - or maybe the front seat mounting bolt? I've been perusing my collection of 'A' photos but few show such detail.

Any ideas out there?

Peter B

greg brillus

VOC Member
On all the A's I've been doing I definitely put an earth point in, usually down low where the right hand engine plate and the footrest hanger stud passes though, there is a redundant hole there that is usable for this without being too visual. Not seen how an original one was done, but earth points on any early machines were thin on the ground, and explains why their electrical systems were pretty poor.

Dinny

VOC Member
I’ve looked though all my pictures and they are grainy when zoomed. From what I can make out there is a wire going to the upper toolbox bolt in some cases which I assume is the earth. It’s a logical point as it’s direct to the main frame.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
There was mention in the near past, of an extremely original Series A, single family ownership I believe. Is that a good reference?

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I potentially have access to unmolested TWO series A singles. Explain EXACTLY what you are after and I will TRY to get photos

A_HRD

VOC Member
Martyn,
That is a mighty fine gesture, thank you!
All we are seeking is where the earth cable goes to from the battery (presumably neg earth). It is likely to be in the region around the toolbox (LHS). I'm inclined to agree with Dinny from my photo searches - but it would be good to get some confirmation.

For Steve D: I had a look at the photos I have of the machine to which you refer - still nothing clear!

For Greg: I fully concur the need for multiple 'earths' on all old motorcycles! Your own idea is indeed a neat one - who knows, maybe it was original !?!:confused:

Peter B

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Martyn,
That is a mighty fine gesture, thank you!
All we are seeking is where the earth cable goes to from the battery (presumably neg earth). It is likely to be in the region around the toolbox (LHS). I'm inclined to agree with Dinny from my photo searches - but it would be good to get some confirmation.

For Steve D: I had a look at the photos I have of the machine to which you refer - still nothing clear!

For Greg: I fully concur the need for multiple 'earths' on all old motorcycles! Your own idea is indeed a neat one - who knows, maybe it was original !?!:confused:

Peter B
On both "A" I sighted the long stud thru the tool box is used as the earth point.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Thanks very much Martyn,
In the absence of any other overwhelming evidence, for the time-being, this would appear to be the most likely original frame earthing-point for the Series 'A' battery earth terminal...
Peter B