Series A Comets

dommy2

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,

New member here:), the forums look interesting!

Any one know how many of the above were made and a good reference book available to buy on Series A Comets?

Cheers in anticipation,

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,

New member here:), the forums look interesting!

Any one know how many of the above were made and a good reference book available to buy on Series A Comets?

Cheers in anticipation,

I make it 444 Series A Comets built... 'Don't know of any particular reference book. You couldn't go wrong getting in touch with Conway Motors. They're listed on this site.
Cheers, John

dommy2

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply, I don't suppose you know how many approx are known to still exist?

We have recently acquired a 1936 one, which has been parked since 1956 (last tax disc) and am starting to build up the information to decide how to go forward with it, as it is complete and original but obviously not used recently.

Probably end up on first names terms with Conways:)

Cheers,

deejay499

VOC Member
Hi, dommy2. Welcome to the club.
I have had the VOC `A` Comet donated by Nigel Seymour Smith and nicknamed Nigel, for the last three weeks, and it is brilliant. I managed about 750 miles on it and could really fancy one.
Good luck with yours and I am sure that you will get lots of enjoyment when it is on the road.
Cheers, Dave

fgth130

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Series 'A' Comets

A good start might be to get hold of a copy of 'Vincents Ab Initio' by Bob Stafford. This was a series of articles in MPH on the Series A machines by Bob Stafford, the Series 'A' Section Organiser, maybe it's in Whitakerpedia but I haven't checked.
The VOC Spares Co stock copies of the Series A hand book.

Best of luck with the machine, they're a wonderful piece of kit.

Frank

vincenttwin

VOC Member
Great to hear another A comet.
I have done 11000 miles on mine in 10 years ,.Conways did a total rebuild on it , A couple of things have gone wrong ,mostly my own fault , but over all a great machine ,and I live at 8000 feet in the mountains ,so down a few HP up here.
good luck getting it going.

A couple of mods I have done is
1. a sealed bearing on the engine output shaft to the chaincase
2. sealed bearing on the output of the gearbox.

If you need any help you can email me.
vincenttwin@aol.com
Peter Allen